Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
" Do I break my 4 door or sell it as it stands? Hanging on to it not an option now... What do you all reckon? "

I was intrigued. Have had a fancy for a '55 for awhile (I am 55 this May, in fact 5/5 !) Reading this just heightened my interest ...

" It's a '55 4 door in white and green. Zannetec built fuel injected all forged 355 1995 LT1 motor with a boost referenced intercooled Procharger P1SC, driving a full on Zannetec 4L60e gearbox with floor shift. Street and Performance polished accessories, rack and pinion steering. Full custom Stainless exhaust. Street and Performance headers. Vintage Air A/C (not currently connected, just heating at mo). Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, Wilwood manual master. Raingear wipers. Saab power Leather seats in front. Ricks Stainless tank & pump. Currie 9 inch with discs and posi. Interior Dynamatted from top to bottom. Central locking and Thatcham immobiliser. LED interior lights & LED brake and turn lights. Autometer gauges. 20 inch Coys wheels. Probably a lot more that I haven't remembered. Needs the interior finishing. Sub 6 seconds to 60 car... "

Then I read this (Build Link) : ... I was hooked. Project 55

Hat's off to Lawrence. He has invested 10 years (as he says - "a Quarter of his Life") of Sunday afternoons on this project -
I simply could not rest easy knowing his option was to dismantle it because of the value of the parts... It MUST be finished !

What could I do ? Buy it - that's what ! Lawrence has 'passed the Baton' to me to run with it ... Watch this space...

:D >>>

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks, Chaps ...

I drove her (briefly) yesterday (to Chris 'Hot Rod Trimmer') - and she does drive VERY well. Tempted to do Wheels Day in her vs the '57 !

Thing is, the '57 is now For Sale & so it could be a good 'Shop Window' :beuj:

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
John, it's only once a year!! A man of your means............ :)

Let her drive it mate, just make sure you follow her!

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
he has one...only needs to ask.....:wave:

even YOU can't drive it when you're in Spain, Liam !

well, today was the first chance for a good run out (to Wheels Day) so we decided to take the '55. (Despite the '57 being For Sale).

Early start from here (5-ish) and the first benefit was having the car here - rather than 3 miles away (in mi Lock-up).

Cold-ish morning at that time ... she started on the button - so no issues with starting noises re the neighbours.

The lights are bright ... the heater works - and she drives very, VERY well indeed. :tup: (Full credit to Lawrence.)

Filled up at Chipping Norton & had a fab drive down to meet the Tri Guys at Guildford. Smiled all the way down ... :D

Smiled even more when re-fuelling ! £23.50 !! Didn't do a mileage check, but was expecting it to be much more.

It's not the prettiest of the Tri Chevy cars - but more than makes up for the lack of looks with sheer driving pleasure...

Handling is VERY good, & comfort too
(even without an interior !) because of good suspension & contemporary seats.

It seems to give very good MPG when driving moderately - and if you do choose to unleash the power ... HANG ON ! :woohoo:

VERY PLEASED to keep this '55 from being broken up for the Parts. I have such admiration for you Guys who can build cars.

PS : Good to see all you 'Tri Guys' today ... some good people & very nice cars in this Group.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,444 Posts
Personally I prefer the bigger rims in the first picture, the others look very "typical tri-Chevy", in my opinion. I'd go the powder coated bumper route, if you go he re-chrome route they will suddenly show up the nearest bit of non-perfect chrome that you'll then have the urge to replace/replate and before you know it you're throwing money at it and you'll lose the feel of what you bought it for in the first place.

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Personally I prefer the bigger rims in the first picture, the others look very "typical tri-Chevy", in my opinion. I'd go the powder coated bumper route, if you go he re-chrome route they will suddenly show up the nearest bit of non-perfect chrome that you'll then have the urge to replace/replate and before you know it you're throwing money at it and you'll lose the feel of what you bought it for in the first place.
We did some miles going to ATOMIC Festival at the weekend ... it drives SO well ... still playing with wheels/ ideas at the mo - an evolutionary process.

It'll never be a 'Show Car' (I never show any of mine) - but it is a GREAT car to get in & drive. Handles really well (Engine sits low, which must help) :tup:

No doubt a bit controversial, - but we saw a Satin Black '55 at Shakey on Sunday - and it got us (both) thinking ...:beuj: (I expect a barrage of "No" s !)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts