Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

21 - 40 of 812 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was wondering why you widened the MGB front 4" ? without looking up MGB and Minor frontend track I'd have thought there were very near each other.

·
Now a BIVA Build
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Rick all i did was measure wing to wing dim and take off the dim of the wheels rims - a bit more 10 mm a side ish, the rear is the same. i wanted the wheels as far out as poss without a deep dish on the rim, seen a morris they could get away with one big wheel at front and one at rear with that track, does that make sense???????????

·
Now a BIVA Build
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
had a look at some pops the swaged panels look great so i have started and nearly finished a swage tool

then went mad and got some 100 mm box to make a table to build the chassis on

a bit of fabing went on

had a bash at painting what a great landscape

then built it up i seem to have run out of room

i need to start the car build :D

·
Now a BIVA Build
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
borrowed a engine hoist this morning for an hour to see how the engine would fit over the front axle,:sniff: i am thinking i will have to chop the middle of the clip out and re-build it with the engine fitted its just to high and i will have to relocate the steering gear and i forgot the camera :shake:

·
Now a BIVA Build
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
had a couple of hours over christmas finally looking like some kind of car well there are wheels

measured and bolted front end and set castor angle down to table almost getting excited :incheek:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Very interested in your build and I am looking forward to the write ups.
Keep it up, looking good.
Regards
warren

·
Now a BIVA Build
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
took the plundge and cut the front beam in to Three the engine is almost in the correct position

exhaust nightmare think i sorced something of of ebay with some mods it might be ok
messed around with the rear brakes got the calipers from a megane (SHAKIN THAT ARSE)

·
Now a BIVA Build
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
How far back are you mounting the engine? and what gearbox are you going to use?
engine going to be hung bang over the center of the front suspension, does nothing for vehicle dynamics and stability but i dont want to be sitting in the boot , suppose i will put a couple of slabs on the back seat to ballance it all out, the gear box is a manual 5 speed rover out of an SD1

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,052 Posts
Hi, how are you going to get the steering geometry correct ? Are you going to make new front suspension mountings so they weld to the chassis now and do away with the remains of the clip ?

·
Now a BIVA Build
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Hi, how are you going to get the steering geometry correct ? Are you going to make new front suspension mountings so they weld to the chassis now and do away with the remains of the clip ?
going to chop the rest of the clip and shove the steering gear as close to the engine as i can

the steering arms can be swopped from side to side and turned upside down this will give me 40 mm stopping any bump steer

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,052 Posts
You are dropping the rack which will move the intersection point of the rack through the inner pivots so rack body will require altering to prevent bumpsteer as well as flipping steering arms.

You'd be better using the clip as a template for new mounts that recreate those of the clip but that wrap around the chassis rails, the larger the weld are the better the strength. I'm presuming you are bolting welding the flat section of the clip under the rails ? If so it will create a pivot point rather than solid platform.

:)

21 - 40 of 812 Posts