Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, just started project prefect yesterday, its a 1953 e493a, it will have pop front panels and boot, herald front suspension, sierra/kit car based rear suspension, essex v6 3 litre with auto box, 9x15/5.5x13 cobra slot mags, cheers.........

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi there Englishtin, the prefect front panels had been welded together and to the car because they were rotten, and the car was cheap, i like the look of the pop front, plus i like the idea of 4 doors(kids+grand kids) just trying to be different i suppose, your prefect looks hard as nails, have a good build.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi there, just a quick up date, nearly got all of the main parts, new pop rad 3 core , reble wiring loom, princess 4 pot calipers, i might change my mind about front suspesion, from herald to a viva sl that i got off ebay for £22, just got to pick it up from newcastle on tuesday, hopfully it might fit easier than the herald would, i now need to build a shed to store all the parts and contents of the garage in, i will try and get some pics taken when i can see the car. Ta Ta for now.................

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi there, picked up the axle this morning , after a four and a half hour round trip i squeezed it in the garage and tried on the princess 4 pots , they bolted straight on , just got to take out the spacers to convert from vented to solid , the guy i bought the axle from showed me what he had in the garage, its an old rod that used to be called MOOM SHINE, it used to have a flip up van body, any one remember it ?, i can t find any photos any where, it looks a bit of a wreck now, he s making a pick up out of it. Bye Bye............

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi there , finally started on the car , i removed the old front end and stripped the viva axle , i removed 5inch and welded it back together with my new birthday pressie . I now need to remove the rear axle so i can set the ride height,

·
WHERE`S MY CAR DUD
345 Posts
hi there, picked up the axle this morning , after a four and a half hour round trip i squeezed it in the garage and tried on the princess 4 pots , they bolted straight on , just got to take out the spacers to convert from vented to solid , the guy i bought the axle from showed me what he had in the garage, its an old rod that used to be called MOOM SHINE, it used to have a flip up van body, any one remember it ?, i can t find any photos any where, it looks a bit of a wreck now, he s making a pick up out of it. Bye Bye............
hi you say the guy is cuting moonshine into a pickup ,is he on rods and sods ,love to see some pics as i built the van way back then

sham he has to cut it

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Hi keith, good look with the build , shame about the prefect front end, I personaly like them as they look like a mini pilot.
I`ll watch on this build post more pics as you progress.
Cheers Dave (ex Bratfud lad)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi 1961desoto, not sure if he is on this site, the body had already been cut up into a cab with what looks like a moggy cab back, the glass wind screen was cracked a lot and all the filler on the front wings was flaking off, it also had a jag back axle on it. Cheers for now....................

·
WHERE`S MY CAR DUD
345 Posts
hi 1961desoto, not sure if he is on this site, the body had already been cut up into a cab with what looks like a moggy cab back, the glass wind screen was cracked a lot and all the filler on the front wings was flaking off, it also had a jag back axle on it. Cheers for now....................
thanks mate ho well be good to see it back on yhe road again ////good luck with your car .

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi, i got the son in law to remove all the rear end (he wants to help), i m using a sierra back axle with locost wish bones and uprights, im copying COSSIE POPs idea (loosley), he s on the other channel. Im toying with the idea of a subframe , fitting all the parts in one unit and being held in place with 6 bolts with poly bushes , this will allow for easy fitting and any repairs to be done, has any one got any thoughts about this idea?. More pictures as and when. see ya...............

·
Turbo 4 pot freak
1,891 Posts
Hi, I'm using a Sierra diff on my build it took quite a lot of design work to make sure all the rear suspension geometry works with the the correct angles throughout the whole suspension travel. Obviously I don't know you're skill level I feel Cossie Pop made life difficult for himself initially and he has a mate who does his machining, if you can machine stuff then no problem but if you can't you may find it either expensive to get done or not possible. Are you gong to narrow the rear end? if you aren't then it probably would be better if you are a novice at car building or welding to see if the complete rear subfame from the sierra could be made to fit, then all the geometry would be ok. But if you were going to narrow it then you would have to start from scratch, You would probably be better off fitting a Volvo axle on a four link with watts linkage much simpler to set up and easily strong enough for the v6.
However if you proceed with the build as started best of luck with it and I will be watching your progress I have a soft spot for the prefect myself as I built and owned one for 26 years.

John

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
hi
ive put a sierra diff in a mini befor.
made the hub carriers and then made custom A arms to suit.
for the driveshafts as it was only running a rover on the street, i cut them,sleeved inside,then sleeved on the outside.
seriously cheaper than having new ones made.

had a look a couple of weeks back ,at one in a pop and he had got something seriously wrong as camber was excessive and one wheel was pointing away from the car

good luck and keep the pics coming

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hi ,thanks for all your thoughts , i suppose what i am really trying to emulate is the locost idea and geometry, yes the drive shafts will need shortening as will the top and bottom a arms, the top arms have some adjustability for camber , there is also adjustability for toe in or out. Thanks............

1 - 20 of 478 Posts