Rods 'n' Sods banner

441 - 460 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Thanks budetta, the hole is for the opening windscreen handle which is going back in , so fresh air on hot days, cheers.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Morning everyone, I really need to finish off the wiring, doing the relays for horn and fans next , the headlight wiring has done my head in ,it looks like it’s switched earth relays and it looks like Ford fitted 4 relays for dim/ dip/ flash, so when I finally get that sorted I will be able to start thinking about the centre console,I’m thinking of a fibreglass one piece going up to the lower dash rail covering the heater and the lower part of the column, more when I’ve done something .

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
Well bugger me ,we’ve only got a working horn and fans , the horn relay was a pain as it wouldn’t work properly,then I worked out that the fuse board had one all ready( no mention in the instructions) so only wasted 1 hour on that, the fan relays went better though and with engine up to temp fan cuts in and turns off,happy days , I just need to run a wire for the ignition light to the alternator and then I maybe ready to start wrapping the front loom, and it looks like one of the heads is leaking so need to look at that, cheers and keep warm out there.

·
Premium Member
14,082 Posts
if by head leaking you mean head gasket did you torque them to 100 ft/lbs? that's what's needed with an essex v6.
neil.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
Budetta, no they are the original bolts as far as I know , they looked ok to me ,should I have?, I’ve used the original bolts in all of my other engine builds, oh and no lube just dry, cheers.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The bolts may have lost there (what ever the word is) and gone elastic so slacken off, also if threads not clean and lubricated with assembly paste then stiction may give you false readings . Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
14,082 Posts
agreed on lubing the threads of head bolts for correct torque setting. dry bolts will give a higher reading. best to remove them one at a time, lube the threads then retorque. that'll do it.
neil.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
And today’s tinkering in the cave of men resulted in a working handbrake, I cut down a Sierra cable and fitted a reusable end fitting from MK sports cars, a bit pricey at £20 delivered, but it seems to do the job, I also replaced one of the fuel pumps rubber mounts,another job off the list, I also finished off the 2 front sunroof drain tubes, I’ve also noticed another bloody leak from the gearbox ,this time from the shift lever/ kick down lever, it’s looking more like they didn’t change any of the seals when they checked over the box, I don’t really want to take the engine out again so may see if I can change the seals in place ,how hard can it be? For fxxks sake can’t anybody do a job right I’m off for some beer, cheers and keep warm.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #454
Today’s tinkering, now got all the lights working using the Sierra column stalks , I’ve got a problem with the fog lights though,they turn on after the lights are on then go out when the lights are switched off but come back on when the lights are switched back on, and I need to get a constant live to the hazards as they only turn on with the ignition, when they are sorted the loom is finished, just need to tidy the wiring and wrap it , it also looks like I will have to take the engine out to sort the gear box leak ,bumhats, didn’t want to but I can’t get the gearbox sump off as somebody left a great sodding-cross member in the way (what was I thinking of), looks like that’s next weeks job,no pics as it’s only wiring,cheers for now.

·
Premium Member
14,082 Posts
can't you cut the crossmember out and add flanges so it bolts in place. i know a fixed gearbox crossmember in rods has been common practice for donkey's years but i really don't get it.
neil.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
Thanks mygasser, it’s not the cross member the holds the gearbox, it the original cross member-that the original front axle pivoted on, you can see it on picture #57, but I could cut it out if needed ,cheers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Today's tinkering, now got all the lights working using the Sierra column stalks , I've got a problem with the fog lights though,they turn on after the lights are on then go out when the lights are switched off but come back on when the lights are switched back on, and I need to get a constant live to the hazards as they only turn on with the ignition, when they are sorted the loom is finished, just need to tidy the wiring and wrap it , it also looks like I will have to take the engine out to sort the gear box leak ,bumhats, didn't want to but I can't get the gearbox sump off as somebody left a great sodding-cross member in the way (what was I thinking of), looks like that's next weeks job,no pics as it's only wiring,cheers for now.
Depending on wiring loom, usually fog light switch is momentary with a latching relay that drops out when the lights are switched off and will only switch the fog on with the lights on and the momentary switch pushed.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
Today's tinkering,I've now labelled the relays and installed the speaker cables and also done the radio wiring, E12958A6-6830-476C-AAA7-B398B3C17B36.jpg these are all the components to go in, 4F23E023-7F35-4656-94A9-B69F5841D49A.jpg I've also got a 12 inch sub that I may put in the boot in a fibreglass enclosure, DD9B1557-0313-4865-B0AD-F9C05CCAB726.jpg FDD14BCB-BB88-4985-97D1-822F86540E1B.jpg and we now have tunes, there's 2 front speakers in the front footwell kick panels and when I make them 2 rear speakers going in the rear seat arm rests , getting closer ,happy days.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #459
I’ve also got a reversing camera to install, which will go under the boot valence and wired up to the head unit cheers.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Small up date , I’ve now got all the seals and gaskets for the gearbox so that’s next weeks job, this week I’ve done more wiring for the central locking which is run off a cheap alarm , which I’m just using for the automatic door locking , it locks the doors when you turn the ignition on and unlocks with the ignition turned off,so that should satisfy the biva part of the suicide rear door locks.

441 - 460 of 478 Posts