Rods 'n' Sods banner

461 - 478 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
Woke up to this this morning, 31262358-D86B-4D3E-91E8-A298FF4DCBD1.jpg 88D4C442-6C42-4580-BE17-943E63E16D65.jpg thought I will have a snow day,nope , fan heaters on / big cup of tea / 2 jumpers on ,need to crack on , fog light controller to wire in and route Ariel lead back to front ,then make a start on getting the exhaust off to get to the gearbox sump,oh joy.....

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
As I didn’t want to take the engine out again,I thought I would do the gearbox from underneath,so car on axle stands and I set to, exhaust off first ,well that took nearly two hours to remove , I had to start at the back as I only needed the x pipe off for room, but it all had to come off, then I cut out the centre of the original crossmember ( will weld up after gearbox seals), and removed the sump and valve body, bloody messy too, so I can now get to the nut holding on the shift linkage but I haven’t a spanner to fit ,I will file one to size, and there’s a small pin that looks to stop the shaft coming out,no idea how to remove that pin though, and to top it all off the so called Transmission experts didn’t even change the oil filter ,what a waste of fuxxxxg money, any way onwards and upwards , more soon with added pictures.

·
Premium Member
14,082 Posts
have you got a reciept from them for the work carried out (or not in this case)? if so go back at them for a refund.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
Hi mygasser, yes I’ve got a 1 year guarantee from them ,probably not worth the paper it’s written on, but I will take photos and get in touch with them to see what they say ,not hopeful though, cheers.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
So today's garage time ,made a frame for the son in laws trailer,then onto the gearbox,I filed down a spanner to fit and removed the nut and pulled the retaining pin, 9819EDA1-BF87-4E43-ACD3-3C5D4269AB69.jpg E4012DC1-EEA8-4AE5-92BD-B0F711EC90B2.jpg CE54D2C7-EAF7-46C1-B7B3-12CF9195EE5C.jpg 466D9D04-2581-4321-B2BD-93FE5E1E1B88.jpg 5B8AA8B1-4DCD-4682-B161-700D7807C69B.jpg . I've got all the gaskets needed plus the 2 seals for the shift lever so can now crack on and get it finished and back to square one, I'll need to disconnect the diff so I can pull the propshaft out to replace the tail seal, back at it on Tuesday as we're home schooling the grandsons tomorrow

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
Well ,I said I didn’t want to take the engine out to do the gearbox ,I SHOULD have taken it out ,what a bar steward to do in place, gearbox now back together,well it was until I found one of the valve body bolts underneath a rag, so back off with the sump and found where it goes ,and sump back on,then on to the tail shaft seal, I unbolted the diff and propshaft but couldn’t get enough room to pull prop back,so I had to take off the rear anti roll bar and now can move the diff out of the way,that took nearly 2 hours , then I removed the rear seal ,and now after an eternity I still couldn’t get the new seal in,no pigging room to swing a hammer to knock it in ,now at this point I was ready to cut the fxxking car up I was that pissed off with it. But I will persevere with it on Thursday as we are home schooling the grandsons tomorrow, why do we put ourselves through this, should have gone out and bought one on the road, right I’m off the sulk in the corner now ...........

·
Premium Member
14,082 Posts
can you use a long/er drift so you're swinging the hammer further back in the tunnel where maybe there's more room?
neil.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
Cheers mygasser, was thinking along the same lines now that I’ve got over the temper tantrums, I did feel like I was trapped under the rear of the car though,a bit like clostruthobia,( if that’s how you spell it).

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
Well today went a lot smoother, I found out why the tail seal wouldn’t fit,it was slightly larger than the original one only by about 2 thou, but with a bit of gentle fileing around the leading edge it went in( thank god), then onto rebuilding the rear axle,and now all done and while I was underneath I made a bracket for the speedo pickup, bolted to the rear subframe above the n/s drive shaft, with a 2mm gap above the drive shaft bolts,just need to extend and feed the cable to the front, there’s a few pin holes in the rear exhaust pipes that need welding and then the exhaust can go back on again, hopefully get something done this weekend and has it my 62nd birthday (HOW OLD) on Saturday I’m sure our lass will give me a garage pass, where have all the years gone?, ta ta for now.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #470
I got a 3 hour pass on Sunday from our lass ( she’s a keeper), so in l dart like ferret up a drain pipe, got the cut ends of the crossmember welded up with a new end cap also the exhaust pipes were marked up in felt tip pen highlighting the pin holes and welded and ground down, then given another coat of vht aluminium paint, still need to paint the rear silencers in black vht paint when I get some , while I was in a painting mood I looked at the gear-lever surround, it was painted in black from the factory but chipped all over so I stripped off the paint,to reveal a nice looking pot metal moulding ,so with a bit of sanding with different grades and some cutting compound it’s looking good to go , it needs some finer sanding and maybe clear coating but I like the look, today’s job is to get underneath the car again to touch in quite a few chips in the paint then the exhaust can go back on again, getting back to square one, cheers.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
Gearbox now full of oil, exhaust fitted and joints sealed ,engine running and spinning rear wheels, bloody fuel pump leaking again so that to sort and found play in the rear hub bearings, with them sorted hopefully the underneath is done, then onto finishing the wiring and starting the centre console,happy days.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
Wow , I thought I had logged on to the wrong site , what a difference , is this the norm from now on ?, will take some getting used to I suppose but all for the best

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #476
Had a look back over my thread, and it seems that they’ve reduced the pages by half and my early pics have disapeared and the remaining ones are thumb nail size, what a bummer.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
I finally finished fitting the exhaust tips,quite a bit of cutting and welding to make them fit,then onto retightening the head bolts, but first I had to remove the servo so I could get the rocker cover off,and while the master cylinder was off I had to replace the rubber seal to the reservoir
and it’s now all back together just the brakes to rebleed when I’ve some help, cheers.

461 - 478 of 478 Posts