Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

481 - 500 of 522 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
Thanks budetta, yes no excuses for a dirty car , after seeing blackpopracing starting a rebuild on a pop , he removed the rad fan and the plastic ties had started to damage the fins, and as mine is mounted the same I thought I had better change mine , so I cut and shaped some 1.5 mm steel with bolts welded on then welded the brackets in place , now all painted and fan fitted and working, i also finished off some more wiring on the dashboard, planning on getting the grille and inner wings fitted for the last time by the weekend,I also need to give the garage a good clean before I make a start on the front wings and repainting the rear wings, it’s getting there........

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
Well what a good day, finally got around to fitting the front panels, still needs adjustment when the wings and bonnet are finished but well happy, I’ve delayed fitting the front panels because the brake master cylinder kept weeping no matter what I did so ordered another and fitted and bled the brakes ,that’s another tick off the list, I’m working for the next 2 weeks then onto the wings,crack on........

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
Cheers mygasser, plus our lass is happy the grille shell is out of the conservatory,but I will need to store the front wings for a while,(mmmm , I wonder where have I some space).

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #486 ·
No , but there’s 2 large settees doing nothing in the house of glass, ( it’s only for a while love ) are the words I hear being said , and I’m getting some foam board today so I can start making the centre console and rear arm rest moulds , and I think I come up with an idea for the headlining, using some fibreglass resin and fleece material and using the car roof as a mould, and yes I should of thought about it before I painted the car, but hopefully with some plastic sheeting draped over the roof it should be protected,

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
Well today was exciting, after reconnecting the wiring in the grille area (horns,coil,headlight wiring,earth points) I finished bolting on the wing supports then cleared out the car ,then onto the boot catch and rear light lens, I then revered the car down the drive, brakes and handbrake working, then I thought why not,as the road was quite (we live on a back road) I had a blast up the road , that was exciting,terrifying,quite mad, and as the adrenaline was pumping I had another blast up the road,i don’t know what the taxi driver thought about it seeing a car with no front wings or doors on, I just waved him on so I could turn around , fuxxing exciting or what, just glad our lass didn’t see me, I’d be right in the dog house.

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
nothing like that first drive after a rebuild mate (y)
neil.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
Thanks mygasser, yes it was quite a feeling, apart from a mk2 golf gti custom build, 1966 very split screen ground up rebuild ,and a classic mini custom, this is the only one off build I’ve done and its been a long time coming to this point having started it in 2011.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
We now have a working heater and wipers, also changed the handbrake lever to one with a fitted rubber gaiter, whoopy bloody doo, that only entailed removing half of the handbrake cable,but all back together and looking tidier ,also made a start on a cardboard mock up of the centre console ,more soon .....

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #492 ·
Not a great deal done , but we now have intermittent wipers, only 1 major wiring job to do which is the door lock control, I collected the Land Rover windscreen this morning,the front windscr frame is at the chromers ,made a wooden template for the rear window also made a fibreglass mould for the centre console,I made the initial mould out of cardboard glued together and covered in packing tape then fibreglassed on top

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
The ears are to cover part of the Demi stern tubes, there’s another part to make that joins up with the left side ’ear’ to cover the heater fan case,if that makes sense.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
Hi I’ve had a local interior guy have a look at the prefect, to recover front seats( mx5), make the rear seat foam and cover ( I’ll make the base boards), and do the fitted carpeting with bound edges, in black and grey cloth and black carpet, at around £2000 mark ,leaving me to do door / kick panels / rear side arm rests and headlining, is this about right?, not committed yet just waiting for samples, cheers

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Its such a good feeling after a long term build when it finally drives, good on ya!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #500 ·
Glass templates dropped off at Caldwells glass on Friday,got a quote this morning, £165.13 for 6 pieces of new glass and cut to shape Land Rover screen which is £40 included in the quote, but they missed off the price of the rear window so that’s a phone call tomorrow,but well happy with the price.

481 - 500 of 522 Posts