Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

501 - 520 of 522 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #502 ·
Budetta, yes quite cheap really for what you get,for some reason I’d had a much larger figure in mind, don’t know why though, now I’ve a big chunk towards the interior,just need to convince our lass, and I’ll have to work a bit harder for the rest.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
After a bit of back and fourth with Caldwells the glass is now paid for total of £210 ,add on the cost of the land rover screen at £47 the grand total is just under £260 for 8 pieces of new glass, that’s another big item crossed off the list next up the interior work cheers for now.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #504 · (Edited)
This is this weeks tinkering in the man cave, rear seat back and base cut out of 13 mm ply, rear parcel shelf out of 9mm ply , side panels out of 5 mm ply/ speaker ring / fleece / fibre glass, and center console has 3 layers of fibre glass still needs 2 more layers on the sides and trimming to shape. The side panels and parcel shelf will be covered in 4 way stretch carpet as will the head lining when I make the fibre glass shell ,now I need to get someone to do the seats and carpet, cheers for now.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #507 ·
Just a small update, centre console is now installed, yesterday I added 3 more layers of fibreglass and today I trimmed it to fit then cut the holes for the gear-lever/ radio/heater vent ,it looks just like I imagined,just not happy with the (ear) on the passenger side ,it just doesn’t look right,the console and column shroud will be painted body colour, ta ta for now

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
Glass picked up this morning on the way to Chester for 2 nights for our 12 year wedding anniversary , have a great weekend.

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
i'd paint the 'ear' satin black to hide it in plain sight.
neil.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #510 ·
Thanks mygasser, I’ve done a lot of sanding on the console and with some filler work it should look better, but I may have to carpet the console (that should hide the ear )as I don’t think I can get the corners with the correct radius,at the moment I have about a 5-8mm radius so may not pass.

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
if you don't 'want' it carpeted you could always paint it and fashion a slip on carpet cover for the test and remove it afterwards.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #514 ·
Today’s tinkering in the cave of heat, started a 9 am making the mold for the headlining , I had to bridge the gutter so I had a smooth line so cardboard and glue gun to the rescue then plastic sheet on the car ( to avoid resin drips) then packing tape on one half of the roof ( and before anyone says it ,yes I should have done it before I painted the car ) then 3 layers of fibreglass and we’re done, it’s not the best as the tape and plastic sheet puckered up in places but after a layer or 1/4 inch foam and 4 way stretch carpet it should be ok.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #515 ·
The next lot of panels that are ready for paint,wings and running boards are stone chipped,all filled and sanded and 3 coats of high build then today all sanded smooth, the bonnet has been a sod to get into shape but the oil canning is now to a minimum so first coat of filler on,there’s a few areas that need spot priming then ready for top coats.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #518 ·
Cheers blackpop, my interior guy was giving me ideas how to cover it but it’s back to plan A now and splash some paint on it , crack on .

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
For anyone thinking of using Caldwells they wait is about 10-14 days NOT the same in weeks for 'windows' .They also make canal boat windows etc , what we have is simly glass :)

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
Budetta, yes quite cheap really for what you get,for some reason I’d had a much larger figure in mind, don’t know why though, now I’ve a big chunk towards the interior,just need to convince our lass, and I’ll have to work a bit harder for the rest.
Glass normally IS much dearer by the time all the middlemen have added their cut. It took ages to find firstly someone to make to correct EC 43 spec and then at a sensible price.

501 - 520 of 522 Posts