Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
521 - 540 of 560 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #521 ·
Yes I would recommend Caldwells, all to shape and marked in the places I asked for and screen cut down all in for £210 plus cost of screen, but they could do with improvement in the contact ability.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 ·
I’ve not had a lot of time in the garage lately as working a lot , I’ve scored a nos bonnet hinge,I only needed 2 springs and now got a full set , the hinges are now painted satin black and ready to fit, the bonnet is a work in progress but getting there also the interior guy and I have worked a design for the rear seat, 4 inch with a 1inch foam roll to the front for the base and 3inch with a 1inch foam roll for the back rest, then panel inserts to match the front seats, I’ve also got the mini foam padding for the lower dash rail that acts as knee protection and will be covered in the same material as the seats and door cards.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
No paid for work or work on the prefect this week as having a much needed break in Cala D’or Mallorca, it took about 1/2 hour to get through customs at Palma Airport , but otherwise if you’ve got the paperwork in place it was quite easy going, back on it next week and also need to get the house prepped so we can get a valuation done , we are going to move to Otley just outside of Leeds ,the small grandsons moved there 3 weeks ago so we are going to live nearby , I brought them up from babies and missing that connection with them, back soon.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #525 ·
Well coming to the end of another 10 day isolation after our week away, and I’ve been filling and sanding quite a lot, the bonnet / centre console/ near side doors have now got a shape I’m happy with, just waiting on some filler/ stopper to arrive for all the pin holes and low areas then hopefully into paint now I’ve refreshed my supplies,
and I’ve also painted the near side hinges in satin black,

Also I’ve been having trouble starting the car from cold ,when I need to get it out of the garage I have to let it idle so it warms up ( it has a water heated auto choke) so I decided to change it to a manual choke, and found this old school kit on eBay
which I will fit tomorrow, cheers more as and when.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #526 ·
Well 25 days later here we are again, still filling and sanding the near side doors and bonnet but nearly ready to paint ,whoopie doo, and I’ve finally got some electric window regulators that I’ve altered to fit in the tight confines of the prefect doors, there off a black London cab,
the one on the left is the altered one, you can also see on the left regulator the vw glass bracket which just needed 2 holes drilling to bolt on , the next picture shows the window switches mounted in the center console,
here you can see the 10 inch piece that I cut out , I also had to cut around an extra 2 inches out in bits to get a better fit ,I also had to flatten the track as it had a slight curve, the top mount also had to be flattened to fits tight to the inner door frame ,
here you can see the square that needed to be cut out so the track sat flat against the metal,
here is the regulator in place ,the bottom mount is just a simple s shaped bracket bolted on ,I also had to tap 2 holes to m8 on the back of the motor to mount it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #527 ·
Also the solenoid on the starter has packed up, it’s about four years old so the warranty has expired, bugger, more money to spend, oh well I’ll need to work a bit harder I suppose,cheers for now.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #528 ·
Well I’ve worked out the problem with the starter motor, there’s nothing wrong with it, it works fine, I also found that the bottom bolt I’ve cross threaded as I couldnt get a straight line with the ratchet which put the starter at a slight angle and it made contact with the flywheel, so I sort that out and got it sitting flat,great I thought but no, it span freely but not turning the engine over ,bugger, so took it off again for the fourth time, this time I did a bench test again and it works fine so I looked at the flywheel,looks fine ,so did some measurements and found the starter doesn’t mesh with the flywheel , the teeth just clear each other, so when it was at an angle the teeth just meshed together and that explains the pinging sound when trying to start the engine , it looks like the teeth are out by around 4 mm to properly mesh, it looks like I need a starter with a larger gear, oh the joy of car building.

·
Premium Member
14,764 Posts
does the starter locate in a fixed 'opening' in the bellhousing tin plate? if so maybe alter/file/grind the starter body and slot the holes slightly so it sits closer to the flywheel.
neil.

·
stitchmeister
twin turbo LS 59 chevy apache
4,780 Posts
whats your plans for fixing up the fibreglass headliner ? are you also going to be fitting windlace / furflex around the door openings ? looking forward to how this turns out (y)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #531 ·
Mygasser, yes fixed hole and starter has a round raised lip, did briefly think I could do as you say but doesn’t it need the lip to locate and not move away from the flywheel when operating? .

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #533 · (Edited)
Hot rod trimmer, the headliner will be held in place in the middle by the sunroof trims and by the dome light screws, at the rear by the rear window rubber and screws hidden by the rear parcel shelf trim ,along the side by screws hidden behind the headlining material which then gets glued to the door frame edges, at the front it’s held in place by the upper windscreen panel, it s also held up by the sunroof switch panel when I’ve molded it to shape , the doors now have a lip welded all around them to take a rubber seal like this,
I will just have to trim the bake light window surrounds and the rubber seal also traps the headliner material, hope that’s not too long a description,cheers all.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #534 ·
Budetta, I did think the same, but when you search on the good old tinternet, there doesn’t seem to be any difference, I may try mygassers idea as I’ve nothing to lose as it’s a good starter and out of warranty , I knew I would get some advice and ideas from this ace site ,thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,764 Posts
Mygasser, yes fixed hole and starter has a round raised lip, did briefly think I could do as you say but doesn’t it need the lip to locate and not move away from the flywheel when operating? .
once the bolts are tight it won't move, i've had loads of older fords where the block plate is missing and the starter can wiggle side to side on the bolts 'til they're tight. all were fine.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #537 ·
Cheers mygasser, had a look at the starter and the bolts have wiggle room so should be able to file a couple of millimetres to give me the 4 mm I need and I need to remove half of the raised lip to give movement,so hopefully a quick fix,will try Friday if poss as we are packing for a week abroad,cheers.

·
Premium Member
14,764 Posts
it'd be best to file the plate but easiest to file the starter, lol
ps re the auto/manual starter being different, either they're the same or i was just lucky whenever i've swapped them in the past. even v4 to v6 (and vice versa) ones fit and work in my experience.

521 - 540 of 560 Posts