Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen things for a reverse pattern (valve body :?:) but does that reverse the whole gear box or just the forward gears

I was wondering if it was possible to swap the forward gears only so instead of R,N,D,2,1 you could have R,N,1,2,D :beuj:

Were talking the good old Th350 and maybe the 700R4

I wish this snow would melt cos then my brain would get a rest :beuj: its starting to hurt now :shake:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Vin, next time we see each other take JJ for a spin, and see what a pain in the arse it is on the street :shake:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Forgot to mention, theres no `D` mines P R N 1 2 3 you still have to change up and down the box manually :sniff:

·
The Camino Kid
1,169 Posts
Tony, You've got a manual valve body as well as a reverse shift pattern, but you already know that...lol. I don't really see the point with these modifications unless you're going for what they were designed for, primarily racing. As Tony says, on the street they can be a pain in the arse as with higher stall converters in street applications. Personally i'd forget about the 350 and 700r4 and go for a 'glide. Ya cant get a more reliable, robust simple trans in my opinion.

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
Ive seen things for a reverse pattern (valve body :?:) but does that reverse the whole gear box or just the forward gears

I was wondering if it was possible to swap the forward gears only so instead of R,N,D,2,1 you could have R,N,1,2,D :beuj:

Were talking the good old Th350 and maybe the 700R4

I wish this snow would melt cos then my brain would get a rest :beuj: its starting to hurt now :shake:
What do you want to do with the car? how much power?
someone has already answered your question on gear patterns.

·
Registered
552 Posts
surely it cant be that much of a pain to drive on the road? i mean if it was a manual car u would have to have a clutch and change gear more times!

jim

·
Got salt
1,305 Posts
A manual valve body without a reverse pattern can be a real pain in the arse! Especially with a ratchet shifter.
Having to ratchet thru all the gears to go from neutral to first and back just isn't on.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A manual valve body without a reverse pattern can be a real pain in the arse! Especially with a ratchet shifter.
Having to ratchet thru all the gears to go from neutral to first and back just isn't on.
I think Briz is on my wave length here why go from neutral to 3d surely Neutral to 1st would be better

And if your racing and you floor it then g force pushes you back so why fight it and push the lever (shifter) forward :beuj:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Reverse pattern manual valve bodies are no problem at all on the street, been doing it for the last 20 odd years. You do need a good shifter though. Forward pattern manual is asking for trouble in a racing situation, missing 3rd and getting neutral or reverse instead ain't much fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts