Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told its impossible! Is it?

Been offered a 2009 Dodge Challenger off an air base, bought cars off base before with no dramas. When the car registered last year because the DiVvyLA didn't have satisfactory documentary evidence of its age they gave it a Q plate and registered it as a 2013 car. The American owner didn't realise it was a big deal and went along with it. I've done checks on the car in the USA and here and the car has excellent history.

The car is a sensible price but in my opinion the stigma of the Q plate rightly or wrongly will kill its resale value due to people's assumptions of its reason for,being on the car.

I would of thought with documents to prove the cars age it could be changed but I've been told by someone in the know it will be nigh on impossible to get it changed and that when a Q was given they would of had to sign to accept the consequences.

Any one ever got one removed or changed

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,142 Posts
It can be done but there are several bewares attached. The DVLA rules are issue of Q plate if no age verification available but can be taken off if the proof can be produced within 12 months of original registration. However I know of several that have had Q plates removed afterwards but it IS at the discretion of DVLA not an automatic right. All the Q plate removals related to Historic vehicles though.

The other thing I know of but not fully about is the duties issue that may exist re air base purchases but you know that one already.

EDIT . IGNORE EVERYTHING I just said , as a 2013 he'd have had to pass NIVA import and the Q plate so WON'T be removable at all.

·
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Kev. Car has been registered here for over a year now, just MOTd and taxed for the second time so in theory having been his personal vehicle here there are no taxes due, even if there were they've always taken care of them in the past before the docs can be released, they are pretty tight on that on the bases.

The car did have an SVA test or equivalent, lights converted etc last year.

I may still buy the car if the price is agreeable, even if I can't get the Q removed I should be able to get the manufacture date put right so the car can be sold in Europe easy enough when I've had my fun with it shouldn't i

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,142 Posts
It's worth a chat with Phunkie Hiboy re whether the date can be changed as he has more experience with BIVA Imports. I think the Q plate is still going to scupper that as the date of passing the test IS it's date of manufacture. How this works with dating on a normal import Chris would be best able to advise you.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It's worth a chat with Phunkie Hiboy re whether the date can be changed as he has more experience with BIVA Imports. I think the Q plate is still going to scupper that as the date of passing the test IS it's date of manufacture. How this works with dating on a normal import Chris would be best able to advise you.
Most, no read that as all import vehicles from the East and I think Europe have de registration certificates which have date of manufacture on them. Not sure about vehicles from the US, but surely the date of manufacture is on the vehicle title (just done one for a friend, with Kevs help and the date was on the title document).

·
Muffin tester.
250 Posts
Whats to stop you taking it with a Q plate and then exporting it to Europe, waiting and then bringing it back and registering it again ?

I mean theoretically, obviously you would need to live in France or something for a while and then move back here but could it be done ?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
in my eyes ,real stigma with a q plate, always has been, only got to mention q plate to anyone, right or wrong only a letter i know,but is there a sneaky loop - hole way round it, was there some cars going out smashed and on register ,then coming back in clear, not same as q but similar thing ,hmmm

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,142 Posts
Whats to stop you taking it with a Q plate and then exporting it to Europe, waiting and then bringing it back and registering it again ?

I mean theoretically, obviously you would need to live in France or something for a while and then move back here but could it be done ?
details are kept and old number re-issued. used to be a scam with doing this with private numbers to lose crash history. Number always reverts to original now.

The other way , now stopped was to export ( on paper) to Northern Ireland and then get an Irish number . You could bring it back into the country and keep the NI number . You can still do this with Brit number in NI or NI number here BUT they brought in a Q plate over there as well so loophole closed.

--- New Post Merged As Per 5 Day Bump Rule ---

in my eyes ,real stigma with a q plate, always has been, only got to mention q plate to anyone, right or wrong only a letter i know,but is there a sneaky loop - hole way round it, was there some cars going out smashed and on register ,then coming back in clear, not same as q but similar thing ,hmmm
It used to be a stigma cos it meant kit car and everyone knows rods are kits cars don't they ? ;) . Nowadays VERY few cars get issued with a Q especially kit cars as it is entirely avoidable.

There are so many advantages to a Q plate that most are too shortsighted to see...and no, I'm not going to put them up on the WWW!!!

Q FOR QUALITY :) :tup:

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
but from what Motorama says, it should not be in a Q if they had registered in correctly. Therefore perhaps the NI route would work, ie correctly register there and get a correct nI registration?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,142 Posts
They obviously couldn't supply ( or be arsed to get) the correct information at the time. If you take it to NI now it still gets a Q , as I said that loophole is closed.

·
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most, no read that as all import vehicles from the East and I think Europe have de registration certificates which have date of manufacture on them. Not sure about vehicles from the US, but surely the date of manufacture is on the vehicle title (just done one for a friend, with Kevs help and the date was on the title document).
I don't know the full story but was told the title was held by a loan company at the time the car was registered, you can register a car without a title easy enough, and I imagine the US forces have their own dept/handler at the DVLA as there's a lot of cars come over. Almost all Americans have their new cars on the knock so that doesn't surprise me either.

·
formerly litig8r
720 Posts
I dare say the US finance company never knew the car had left USA, something they might not have been too thrilled about ... like you say Andy it will probably end up going to Europe so it may be less of an issue for the buyer over there.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
details are kept and old number re-issued. used to be a scam with doing this with private numbers to lose crash history. Number always reverts to original now.

The other way , now stopped was to export ( on paper) to Northern Ireland and then get an Irish number . You could bring it back into the country and keep the NI number . You can still do this with Brit number in NI or NI number here BUT they brought in a Q plate over there as well so loophole closed.

the thing with getting a vic marker removed from a damaged car is still valid but you need to put the original number on retention then when the v5 comes with a new number on it the bit about it having been damaged and substantially repaired is not on the v5

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
If you have checked all the details and proven the cars history etc as stated in first post, why not get all that bumph printed out and keep it in a file so if and when you flog it you can show to prospective purchasers?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
There was another way, still involving NI. For crashed repaired or ringed vehicles, you actually took them to Ireland and had them SVA tested and issued with a NI registration. Ship them back and swop for a British number and instant squeaky clean "new" car. Did go on for quite a while. A loophole that's now been shut and I don't think was ever a "goer" with BIVA.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts