Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some new tyres for the back of my rod (31x18.5x15).

I currently have some mickey thompson sportsmans on there and fancied getting some hoosier quick times treaded tyres.

I emailed the uk supplier of hoosier tyres and apparently they are only street legal in the usa and not the uk.

on looking on the mickey thompson website at their tyres it says they are dot approved( which hoosier say also) so does that mean that mickey thompson tyres are not strictly legal in the uk as well?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i emailed hoosier tyres ( their uk branch) and they were the ones that told me they only make race tyres and only street legal for the usa.

might have to email them again( they gave me a great price £254 a tyre)

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,662 Posts
Its possible that they may not be fully aware of UK/EU tyre laws? And due to them replying to you via email and you having a record of it they're playing safe and stating they're not legal,

Topspeed put out a statement on eurodragster a while back saying the Hoosier tyres that they import are UK compliant,
to get the exact spec you'll need to call them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would recommend Topspeed any day for Hoosiers. I bought my original pair from Hoosier direct 5 years ago and they gave me some sort of discount, so when I needed a new pair last year I called them again and they werent nearly so helpful - seems they will still sell direct but only at full retail. Topspeed matched the Hoosier price and bought them off Hoosier UK anyway, so Topspeed got to earn some money and couldnt have been more helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts