Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a brand new pair of headers that need treating in some way. Any recommendations on paints, or ali metal spraying treatments please. Someone suggeted B&Q barbecue paint, does it really work?? ta Nige

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,145 Posts
Likewise, usually go for ali spray and then apply Hicote ,here's a good tip ,read the instructions and it'll stay on a lot longer ;) :)

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Do you have any contact details please, cheers...nige
i have,nt got a no but depending how long you can weight ill get it when i go, kev did you have whole system ali coated then sprayed them with bbq paint if so did it last long and stay looking good

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,145 Posts
i have,nt got a no but depending how long you can weight ill get it when i go, kev did you have whole system ali coated then sprayed them with bbq paint if so did it last long and stay looking good
Yup, had the entire system ali sprayed and the painted, Used to do the same on my VW boxes and headers as well.

·
Lowlander
444 Posts
paint

Halfords Hi temp paint 6quid a can,same as hycote/vht 500 deg c....works a treat...no luck needed (unless you dont clean your bits first)...Cheers!

·
Banned
489 Posts
I've found that not all VHT paints are equal, I use Hycote and find it to be the best. It will last a lot longer if you phophate coat the headers first which costs about a fiver per header.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Hi Nigel,

I had mine done by a company called Avanti Engineering (very apt name I thought) in Tipton. I've just checked and they are still in business, you can get them on 0121 557 1153. No idea what the cost would be though.

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Nigel,

I had mine done by a company called Avanti Engineering (very apt name I thought) in Tipton. I've just checked and they are still in business, you can get them on 0121 557 1153. No idea what the cost would be though.
Hi Alan, I'm taking them to Avanti on Tuesday morning I'll let you all know how I get on, cheers......Nige

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Hi Alan, I'm taking them to Avanti on Tuesday morning I'll let you all know how I get on, cheers......Nige
when you,ve been let me no what they,ve done and how much i will probly be going so it may give me a ball park figure, they would,nt quote over the phone :tup:

·
Fruit & Nut Case
2,100 Posts
Believe it or not, Household emulsion paint does not burn off and is availible in thousand of colours. The downside is if its touched it turns to dust. Ok just for a laugh if a strange colour is used or to sell a car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts