Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dishwasher worked for 18 years, stops suddenly, plugs into another socket works, socket won't work for anything but elmo tests and it's live. It doesn't trip the fuse board, any ideas

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
When Elmo test did he use meter or screwdriver with neon.
Should have 240 L to N, and 240 L to E.

If socket has been changed and still no good, then the problem will probably be in next socket in line. Loose connection in that one. Very unlikely to be a broken wire between sockets.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
I had a socket that just stopped working tested OK but wouldn't nothing plugged in would work, replaced socket and it worked fine, examined the faulty socket but couldn't see anything obvious so chucked it in the bin.

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
ok a few things to check

are there 2 of each colour wire if so its part of the ring and very unlikely to of lost both neutrals
if there is only 1 of each wire then its more likely , especially is you have done any re decorating and maybe moved another socket

im a electrician by trade so if i can advise you or him further drop me a pm and ill send you my mobile number

but as above its more likely the neutral has failed wither on this socket or the 1 before it

is the washing machine under a cabinet with a switched spur above it
13A Switched Spur - Switches & Sockets - Electrical -Tools, Electrical & Plumbing - Wickes
a looking similar to the one in the link ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.