Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now I'll start by admiting that this is a subject I've never had to bother with and so my knowledge of what makes a quiet exhaust is poor, however, I need to make up some slip on silencers, to reduce the noise of a big block, roller cammed race motor on open header so I can run the car at home while loading up. I'm not bothered with performance at all, they just need to silence the car enough at idle to run it at 10pm.

Do I need to restrict the bore size right down to say 1.5in then add a box ? , any suggestions of a box I can pull from the scrappy that will do the trick ?

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
no vince he said " quiet" not just from pro mod down to street eliminator.lol

i doubt if you will find anything good enough to bolt onto the headers which will dampen the noise down to a good level. supertrapps work well but are expensive. the things vince is on about do work but the noise level is still loud. The diver type cherrybombs work well as they make the car loud one direction and quiet in the other and two in a line makes a v8 almost purr like a kitten. hope this helps

·
My name is Martin
2,613 Posts
In the words of the old saying, you could always put a sock in it :incheek:

Yeah I know, the sock will get blown out

·
Nitro Addict
18 Posts
Depends on your setup, but give Real Steel a shout, they sell hedman turbo silencers at a good price, maybe other suppliers have them as well ?? various pipe sizes to suit.

·
richard rawlplug
8,115 Posts
i used a bmw 535 exhaust..it worked kinda well in the garage..apart from the fumes not getting out the garage.

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
Something one of the turbo cars (scooby/evo), RR/Bentley (a bit extreme but big bore, usually insulated and quiet) commercial truck? - just take a trip round the back of an exhaust centre and look at the scap?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts