Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice to see the forum get a mention re one of its thread ( in the Swap meet write up ). :tup:

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I dont buy the mag now as used to be full of bought, not built rods and i personally thought it wasnt worth the money. What they say bout the forum Kev?

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
Bought not built rods? are those the ones that just appear by magic, fully formed ? :incheek:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
:shock:
i agree it's not worth the money :shake:
but i argue at the built/bought saga,being a fully skilled welder/fabricator & qualified mechanic, i would have to buy as i just dont get the time to build what with having family etc, i'm even having trouble finding time to fix my pontiac at the mo :tdown:

·
Stroker
5,458 Posts
I subscribe :D

Looks like another good mag! what with the giveaway booze, tits and discount vouchers for all the rod shops and suppliers.

cheers
KJ

·
Registered
391 Posts
Bought not built, fletch built that chevy from the ground up, only thing he didnt do was the interior, bodywork and wiring. he started with what looked like a good base but ended up being pugged up. Paintwork he did with a mate,put the chassis together etc. Oh he did buy the parts and paint to build it with. I dont normally buy it for my own reasons, BUT when there is something featured that interests me then Ill hand over me cash.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
got a mention in classic ford aswell, at this rate well get a mention in the queens speech at x,mas :pmsl:

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
:pmsl::pmsl: Built not bought refers to someone who gets a car and farms it out here for engine, here for interior and they actually never touch the car and claim, they built it. They didnt build it, they paid for the work for someone else to do it and they try and claim the glory. Its also true its cheaper to buy a done rod instead of building one

·
Down but not out
3,024 Posts
ill have a read at the newsagents ( cant afford it :sob: ) surprising how long you can read it before they ask if i need help lol

·
bitch
609 Posts
ill have a read at the newsagents ( cant afford it :sob: ) surprising how long you can read it before they ask if i need help lol
hahahaha me too!:tup:

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
got a mention in classic ford aswell, at this rate well get a mention in the queens speech at x,mas :pmsl:
Gotta look after we own me mon!

·
Registered
778 Posts
:pmsl::pmsl: Built not bought refers to someone who gets a car and farms it out here for engine, here for interior and they actually never touch the car and claim, they built it. They didnt build it, they paid for the work for someone else to do it and they try and claim the glory...
Sorry , but can I point out that what you have written there is a huge generalisation and frankly insulting to a lot of rod owners ? Whilst I agree that there are people out there who take the credit for other people's hard work can I also say that those people also had to earn the money for the work to be done in the first place ?

Take my last major build/rebuild for example , a reasonably well known 32 rpu called Doris . I bought her as a running driving on the road rod that I knew had a few issues . I also had a vision of how I wanted her to look .

What I didn't have was time .

What I did have was some money .

So I acheived what I wanted to acheive by working my arse off spending 6 days a week away from home to be able to afford to pay someone else to achieve that vision for me and the end result is that I had the rod I wanted at the time .

Didi I do all the work myself ? No

Did it cost me more ? Yes

Did I give credit to the guy who made it happen for me ? Yes

We all do what we can to own the cars we want , and not all of us who pay others to help are gold chainers . I currently spend upwards of a month away from home at a time for work , there's no way I could realistically put together the car of my dreams in the limited time I have at home , what's so wrong with keeping a fellow rodder in business to help me realise my dreams ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts