Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if an aircon rad would be capable of holding water to act as a heater matrix (in my toyota estima its about 4'x6-9" and in the roof )

And loads in scrap yards due to knakered heads :tup:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Theoretically it should hold water if it's gas tight . i've no idea if there may be contamination problems due to the previosu gas in there ? Also the fin pitch /tube bore will dicate how much heat can be extracted while the water is flowing in through it. In short, let me know how you get on :pmsl:

·
Cadillac fanatic
890 Posts
I once used an Air/con rad as a trans-cooler on a rod, it seemed to work fine, but as for water....thats a good question....?

I would have thought that the core would be to tight...retaining heat, thus causing circulation problems....?

If you are referring to the small A/C matrix under the dash, this would probably be the same as a normal rad from what I could see.... again it could be tighter core.... remember it is set for gas, and gas can speed through a pin hole, whereas water would only trickle....:?:

·
Registered
437 Posts
i think engine coolers work for gearbox but not other way round . gbox operates at lower pressure than engine lube system if it helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts