Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pal of mine that's lives just down the road from me has built a camper for himself and is now on with one for the wife, blew my mind when I first saw them both. Reckon when we're out together next year they'll be taking it in turns to park it under my car when it rains! (Lol) Just thought I'd share them with you.

His...

Hers...

Gonna get him to do a bug for my son fingers crossed,
Cheers,
Micky T.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Just getting in to the "aircooled" thing with my sons first car ,71 Beetle . The VW scene is far bigger than I ever realised Mick , and it doesnt take much to make a cool ride either .

Loving the ,57 :smoke:......Wayne

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya Wayne, I reckon that might be the route we go with a car for my lad. We've got quotes for one or two Beetles so far and it's a couple of hundred quid maximum, even with some modifications! What I can't understand is why??? Hundreds and thousands of pounds in some cases to get your kid on the road with insurance and it's pretty easy to get a decent quote for a bug more or less anywhere.
There's no rush as we're doing other cars at the moment, that's why I mentioned I could quite easily buy the right bug and hand it over to my pal, after seeing what he's done to these two and other stuff he's built we might go down that road.
Cheers,
Micky T.

P.S. Thanks for the '57 remark.

·
Super Moderator
7,399 Posts
His looks a strange mix of years....... Brazillian ?

·
Super Moderator
7,399 Posts
I had VWs in the seventies..... before they were popular [read expensive] would like another but I can't afford what I want.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The cream/green one has a fantastic build thread on vzi and I've checked it out at a few shows, too many mods to mention(targa top, suicide doors etc etc)! The yellow one looks promising too!

I sold my chopped bug to buy a sensible camper now I've got kids...somehow I've ended up buying a whole load of daft suspension which necessitated a few chassis mods, a couple of pics of my family-wagon at it's highest suspension settings...

The suspension parts alone came in at nearly £2k before the chassis (and everything else) mods, things have moved on bit since I started with bug's 20 years ago, this one rides like a dream. I know that's peanuts compared to a decent rod-build but I thought it might highlight how the vw-scene has progressed.

Get a decent tuck with Carlton GSi rims, nice offset means you don't have to run skinnies. Work in progress.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Personally I'm lovin' the campers, but omg! Just how much do they fetch now, I remember buying and running stuff like that for next to nothing when we were kids. You can still get a fairly cheap Beetle, but prices rise pretty sharply as soon as you start to look at an older one or one loaded with original vintage parts. It's a great starter step for the younger rodder though as a nice Cal-look or hotrod version are very much excepted at our shows and definitly do not look out of place.
About as close as I get at the moment is running my dropped T4 for work, even that costs me twice as much insurance as a decent bug for my son!

Cheers,
Micky T.

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
Personally I'm lovin' the campers, but omg! Just how much do they fetch now, [/IMG]
Cheers,
Micky T.
In the latest edition of Classic Cars mag there's one up fro the chunky end of £50.000. :shock:

I like those two above. The must get some looks from "civilians" seeing them slammed on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
7,399 Posts
You don't want to know how little I sold this for in 1978....

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
It is a long slippery slope you're heading down. I thought my daughters 69 beetle was going to be a cheap and cheerful 'rebuild' a few years back. £8500 later on and it sits in my drive doing nothing as she's away at uni and doesn't need a car. It wasn't a basket case either when first bought. It had an mot and tax and hadn't been off the road for any length of time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts