Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
28 March 1964 was the date of the first broadcast by the best loved of all the 60s offshore pirate radio stations, Radio Caroline. Who is old enough to remember listening to Caroline?

Unlike today's kids with their Ipods and smart phones, in the mid 60s the 'must have' accessory was a battery powered pocket transistor radio. I carried mine everywhere! The BBC's 'Light Programme' had very little contemporary pop music output at the time, they were enslaved by the Musician's Union who decreed that a large proportion of broadcast music had to be 'live', rather than recorded. This resulted in absolutely dire cover versions of some of the hit songs of the day being broadcast instead of the actual records!

So Caroline was a breath of fresh air, with it's DJs and their Mid - Atlantic accents, snappy jingles and proper records broadcast all day long! And because it was an illegal broadcaster, listening to it carried an extra thrill!

What are your best memories of listening to Caroline?

For me it was the Summer of 1965 and a week's school camping holiday in the Lake District. Caroline North's signal came in loud and clear up there, and some of the records played over and over are some of the greatest songs ever:

Bob Dylan: Like a Rolling Stone
The Beatles: Help
The Rolling Stones: (Can't Get No) Satisfaction
The Beach Boys: California Girls
The Byrds: Mr Tambourine Man
Sonny and Cher: I Got You Babe
The Walker Brothers: Make It Easy On Yourself
Tom Jones: It's Not Unusual

and many, many more!

A link: "PIRATE" RADIO AFLOAT - British Pathé

Happy Birthday, Caroline!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
ahh radio caroline and later radio Luxenbourg
like a lot at the time i listened under the blankets with torch so i could see to tune in the non illuminated dial.

technology is so advanced and everything comes so easy nowadays but wheres the magic?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Luxemburg.........fading in and out and the Power Play! Supposed to be every hour but was actually played every 15mins. I found radio Lux when i was away at 'Boarding School' from 1968 to 1972. was still listening to it up to 1982!

Radio Caroline before 1968 as i had a brother 11 years older than me and a sister 9 years older than me....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts