Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is old ground to most of you here but I can't find what I want 'googlin'
Want to fit some old looking cast radius arms, triangulated and approx 33" long. Going coil-overs with panhard rod.
Where on the net can I find some links, pics of this kind of set-up and/or anyone here got some advice on this. I'm uncertain on any rules regarding angles for arm length V triangulation and also angles from end to end ie from axle tube to chassis mount.(degrees off horizontal one way or the other )

thanx in advance guys.

Bumps....

·
Rod'a'holic
1,037 Posts
If you are planning to use original radius rods that where intended to be used with torque tube I suggest you think carefully as the rods will not stand the twisting action of the axle on their own, the T tube takes care of it.

It is usual to fit triangulated hair pins when using an open prop. There is not a formula for deciding angles you should aim to get the front mountings as close together as possible.

I have hairpins,coilovers and panard rod on my trad truck and it handles fine.

Having said that if you really want to use radius rods then it is possible to fit upper control arms as on a Mk 4/5 Cortina mounted to the top of the axle to the chassis, in this case you will not need a panard rod ( I have no experience with this set up)

Hope this helps

Rich

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry, as always I should have been more specific.
The vehicle is a '38 Dodge, full frame, boxed with Camaro axle, engine is sbc dyno'd to 400+ with 5speed so nothing massive. The arms I want to use are heavy cast items from a 4x4, they ain't gonna bend but I like them and they look kinda 'old' so want to work with them if suitable. Mocking up, the rear brackets would sit about in line with the chassis, due to cross-member limitations they ideally angle inwards from back to front about 9" and look 'right' running parralel to the chassis at ride height, am I way off with that or not? don't want to finish brackets and weld until it's right.
Thanks again.

Bumps....
www.dodge38.co.uk

·
Rod'a'holic
1,037 Posts
Had a look at the pic's, there is some nice work going on there on an unusual base I look forward to seeing the finished ride.

You are on your own with the rear axle set up. If you are confident the bars are strong enough and the mounting bushes will cope with the movement of the suspension travel in the altered position then theoretically it should work.

Keep up the good work

Rich

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rich, appreciate the comments. Yes I'm more than happy with the arms (look like rsj's)and going for urothane bushes. Have re- giggled it all last night and mocked it all up similar to factory specs and all now looks better,was initially concerned with clearance issues but worked out ok. Have done some cardboard templates for the bracketry which will be welded to the axle tubes, these will also take the coil-overs and panhard. Did make my head hurt trying to picture it all and then measure and transfer onto card, lets hope they turn out ok in metal! as you may have seen overkill's the word!. Check back on the site in a couple of weeks to see how they turned out.

Bumps....

www.dodge38.co.uk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts