Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after seeing a couple of commer vans slammed to the ground, i decided i want one for myself,
though with funds being low, couldnt afford to get one thats was running, so i happened upon
this on ebay,:shocked:, litterally a rolling shell and rot,although this is mainly confined to the
body, chassis being very good. :bigsmile:

its going to be abit of a slow project as the useual kids,bills,xmas and weather !
( no garage so being built outside :( )

its going to be a rat project,body will have the panels repaired,but i plan on just painting
it red oxide with black roof.

motivation will be mid mounted rover / auto box and lowered all round ! :D

first on the list was removal of the rear axle and put the leaves under the axle,combined
with lo pro tyres.

front was even easier as the mountings for the shocks are the same as beetle,so i just
bought a pair of shortened shocks, cut 2 coils off the springs and reshaped the tops to
original, fitted back and down she went :D :smoke: :lol: (thanks to wilf for his welding
skills and reshaping the coil tops. :tup: )

ive removed the hideous pop top as there was'nt much of it anyhow and hope to fill the
whole lot with steel,once ive found the right donor vehicle.

oh and had some help from the yougest :D

next i made a start on making room for the engine and box, got a bit more cutting to do
for clearence of the exhaust manifolds, plus final positioning,then start making up the
mounts.

thats about the stage im at, at the mo, although i have now changed plans on the
rear and going jag irs. will have to make a kick up at the rear chassis as i want the van
sitting abit lower all round.
not much else has happened yet,mainly thanks to the clocks going back and the shitty weather
finally arriving, but ive got a jag irs to pick up hopefully soon, so will be able to start working
out ride height etc for mounting the axle. :D

it'll never win any beauty contests but i love it ! :lol:

thanks.

:tup:

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,411 Posts
These things were everywhere when I was a kid, then they just dissappeared! Good to see one on here, look forward to seeing it on the road.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh that was my thought when i bought it, i could do with another to use for parts etc,but useually
the case,when you need something,they're not around ! :mad:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi, yes, ive got the v5c, tax exempt and was on the road 2 years ago.
the then owner stripped it to the bare shell to have it blasted, but it never
got that far and ended up on ebay.
i didnt win the aution but got intouch just incase the winner backed to say
i would be interested.
luckily for me ( honest ! :lol: ) he did, so i had it.

its not as bad as it looks, i do have some parts, but its the fiddly things like
catches etc etc that are missing, so would realy need another van for parts.
( they just dont come up that often ! :cry: )

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
love it.

·
Pop Loving Mad Welsh Fool
161 Posts
My Grandad had a couple of those when I was younger I will be watching this thread with interest :tup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for your comments guys,
the price of vdub camper vans are ridiculas,for what they are, so when i saw the commers,i thought perfect :bigsmile:
the only down side is getting spares,but im sure something will turn up as i doubt it'll be on the road next year ! :lol:

im planning on towing a caravan with it,so the mid engine wont bother me with the space it takes up.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hi RW
that is gonna look super cool when its complete, make sure you keep it super low and them front wheels well tucked in, for me maybe a better look than a VW camper because it is extremely RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrare :tup::smoke:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks woz,
yeh hoping to go a bit lower once ive picked up the irs,get all the mokking up done,axle to body height etc.

here's the insparation :D

·
Pop Loving Mad Welsh Fool
161 Posts
thanks woz,
yeh hoping to go a bit lower once ive picked up the irs,get all the mokking up done,axle to body height etc.

here's the insparation :D

Hell Yeah :tup:

·
Turbo 4 pot freak
1,891 Posts
Have a good look at the front suspension mate as they have a few screw style thread fulcrum pivots on the wishbone pivots and front upright swivels and they seize like a tin watch. from memory they have about 25 grease nipples on the steering and suspension on the front which don't get greased and cause a real headache to work on when seized. The ones I worked on had a really good handbrake on the front wheels and even with the skanky old perkins 4108 diesel engine did stonking burnouts good enough to rip the concrete off the workshop floor.

Good luck with it mate you will definitely need a new diff as they were a real low (numerically high) ratio.

John

1 - 20 of 31 Posts