Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realise this treads the line between stimulating debate and having a Simpsons style lynch mob starting a route march to my house,. but does anybody else see a growing trend to build really bad cars? It's one thing having a car with real Patina (Pete Angel's A) and another building a car to deliberately look like scrap. I've seen it in magazines on both sides of the Atlantic and apart from being horrible, some were clearly dangerous (scrub line violation). Each to their own and I'm as much as anyone for people building their style of car, but the first time one of theses crashes, everyone will be having a dig at the plod for taking them to the cleaners. We have a responsibility as well as a freedom, let's not screw it up. It's crazy - people are spending more on bad looking cars than nice ones.
Anyway, talk about it amongst yourselves, I have to go sort out a cat that seems to have got amongst our pigeons....

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Yeah, the whole 'my coupe/truck/whatever is rustier than yours'. . .' oh yeah? well my rust is older than yours' . . .yawn.

·
richard rawlplug
8,140 Posts
i'll fetch the popcorn....

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Ponch, you are right IMO. I dont know why they dont tape razor blades to their dexion shelving sunvisors--ya know, just to make it more "hardcore". Some are very well made but...wait till someone gets hurt, THAT will instigate a big clampdown on our (LOL) freedom.

Whats that shit about?...no covering on the seat springs etc..or fkn windows, WHO mots that shit, Madness.

Ive done some crazy stuff but one thing Ill never do is ride in one of those deathtraps! (Im not hardcore though, im a pussy)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ponch, you are right IMO. I dont know why they dont tape razor blades to their dexion shelving sunvisors--ya know, just to make it more "hardcore". Some are very well made but...wait till someone gets hurt, THAT will instigate a big clampdown on our (LOL) freedom.

Whats that shit about?...no covering on the seat springs etc..or fkn windows, WHO mots that shit, Madness.

Ive done some crazy stuff but one thing Ill never do is ride in one of those deathtraps! (Im not hardcore though, im a pussy)
Totally right...and it's not about who's hardcore...look at some of the craziest racers, they may have looked mad but generally, they never skimped on the saftey gear. One man could kill the whole hobby as far as Im concerned. Safety isn't wussy, it's job number one.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,276 Posts
We are talking about the wrong thing here , bad /poor engineering is still there whether it be under a rusty shell or a £20k paintjob. We will be just as screwed if shiny car cause problems. However we passed the point of self policing quite a while back.

·
Registered
602 Posts
i no wot ur all sayin, altho my cousins into hot hatches and while its not my thing i see that him n his mates have a genuine love for it all, so great, as poncho says, each to their own, but they got a thing for strippin the paint off the bonnet (only) and drivin it with a rusty bonnet, that alone i cant quite comprehend so wen it gets to doin ur whole car like it, then makin it look just generally unsafe it blows my mind y u wud aim for that? but then again, Each to their own?! if they make them look like that n they're safe then fine imo,i just wont be takin a pic of it!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the thing is the cops or whoever, coukd find fault with all our cars if they put thier mind to it, why advertise it by building a car that looks gash. Leaving aside the legalities, why build cars that look bad and unroadworthy, My problem is that most people miss the point. The cars that looked like this back then were because people couldnt afford the paintjob or the smallblock. Now people are spending more money to look bad/go slow!!. NOBODY who put a flathead in back in the day for example, would do it now, because an OHV smallblock is faster. No hotrodder wants to go slower, Same with paint, its not that expenive to have a good spray job now.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

Ive done some crazy stuff but one thing Ill never do is ride in one of those deathtraps! " what like this piece of crap " ?
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/# which i would sell my sole for

·
Registered
254 Posts
Rat rods are cool, the great thing is it's bare bones motoring, and the car doesn't have to conform to expected shapes and finishes. it's just a style, it doesn't mean they are crap build qulaity
And paint isn't that cheap, whats the point of a crap paint job that bubbles 12 mths later. surface rust is fine, not holes in the chassis. Many a shiney rod paint job hides a lot bad repairs, look at this car,good job on chassis, etc ,just wrapped in a rusty body cause the guy likes the look. 1936 morris 8 hot rod ratrod v8 tvr powered 5ltr | eBay

There are just as many modern death traps on the road. The zooped up boy racer car very rarely gets brake upgrades, suspension upgrades, etc.......just get as much hp out of the engine, drive it like a pratt and end up killing someone.
anyhoo, i like most types of rod, rat included

·
Registered
381 Posts
hi, i sold my 34 pick up rat rod, it had a rust cab, solid chassie, solid floor,but it was , still safer than alot of shiny fiberglass ones that are about,and never had to worry about it getting scrached, each to thier own

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I realise this treads the line between stimulating debate and having a Simpsons style lynch mob starting a route march to my house,. but does anybody else see a growing trend to build really bad cars? It's one thing having a car with real Patina (Pete Angel's A) and another building a car to deliberately look like scrap. I've seen it in magazines on both sides of the Atlantic and apart from being horrible, some were clearly dangerous (scrub line violation). Each to their own and I'm as much as anyone for people building their style of car, but the first time one of theses crashes, everyone will be having a dig at the plod for taking them to the cleaners. We have a responsibility as well as a freedom, let's not screw it up. It's crazy - people are spending more on bad looking cars than nice ones.
Anyway, talk about it amongst yourselves, I have to go sort out a cat that seems to have got amongst our pigeons....
You'd better clean that fan up first Ponch

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I tried to make my car look good but it seems to look like scrap :shock:
i am considering fitting a windscreen, its a different sort of feeling on a bike, I wear a full face helmet on my bike but not going to do that just driving the car around looking like a cold sore advert

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Hmm, "it's not that expensive to have a good spray job now" erm have you checked out the price of paint lately???
Or can you apply and finish filler???
Can you get a car prepped to a standard to have paint put on it???

Great, if you can, come down here and do the body on the pop for me, because I can't do it, I can make a safe chassis, I can build a body from kinda scratch, but I can't abide doing filler work and suchlike, so it's gonna be shot over with some cheap shit paint that I can either scrounge or whatever, £1200 in the whole car, I ain't gonna be getting even a 'mates rates' paint job at 2-3k on it is it...???

As was said on the rat golf thread, there's different strokes for different folks, and for peoples pockets, unfortunately my pockets are very short and not full of anything apart from fluff...

Sorry if that sounded rant like, but...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
'glass can be surprisingly strong. When the HST train first came into service, drivers were concerned that the fibreglass cabs were not as strong as a conventional locomotive's. Not long after there was a shunting 'accident'. The HST flattened a diesel locos cab to the bulkhead, with a lot less damage to the HST.
Off topic here a bit I know, but 'glass is strong when laid up right.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts