Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a bonnet badge things from the states but the chrome is pitted in a couple of places
can this be salvaged
ive never had anything chromed before so i have no idea on prices and who to use
any advice would be great
thanks

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
It should be possible to have them re-chromed but finding places to do it if its monkey metal is getting harder to find, I think S&T Chrome in Bristol still do it worth giving them a call if you can't find anyone closer:

Home - S&T Electroplate

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Darren, i spent years trying to find decent platers, try collonade plating in wembley and ask for Graham, 0208 902 7722
He can repair and replate any diecast with perfect results, it depends how much you want to spend, but he's way better than anyone else ive used over the last 25years and the job he did on my headlights was phenomenal.

Warren

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I've got a bonnet badge things from the states but the chrome is pitted in a couple of places
can this be salvaged
ive never had anything chromed before so i have no idea on prices and who to use
any advice would be great
thanks
You cant polish a turd so its best to get the pits etc sorted prior to giving it to the platers.

Bob

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
You cant polish a turd so its best to get the pits etc sorted prior to giving it to the platers.

Bob
Totally agree with rubbing down the part yourself to remove the pitting. I once got a bumper back rechromed but with all the piiting still visible! To be fair to the guy, I electric sanded all the pits out (going from coarse to very fine) and then he replated it for nothing....

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I had a piece of monkey metal re-chromed that was badly pitted, each of the pits had to be ground out and filled, took ages and wasn't cheap, this article shows how to do the preparation yourself which cuts down costs considerably:

Pot Metal | Iverson Automotive, Auto Trim Restoration in Minnesota
Interesting piece - the author refers to silver soldering the pot metal - I assume he means soft or tin-lead solder rather than silver solder with a silver/brass alloy as using this on pot metal would surely melt it or has pot metal a much higher melting point than I think?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts