Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lads,

I have currently got the tranmission out of my '59 Galaxie, and am re-sealing it.

When I pulled it, the torque converter stayed on the flywheel/flexplate.

Now, I have a nagging feeling that when I re-fit it that I should remove the t/c from the flexplate and fit it to the trans, THEN refit the tranmission.

Or am I talking bollox, as usual?

it's a '59 Galaxie with a 292/cruise-o-matic, if that means anything

cheers, Taff

·
Registered
838 Posts
Trans and convertor should be removed as a unit as you risk damaging the neck of the convertor and probable forture leaks due to the neck not running true

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
I've always believed you take the TC out with the box, so looks like you need to re-mount it and make sure you re-fill it to the right level. Did it dump any fluid when you pulled it?

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trans and convertor should be removed as a unit as you risk damaging the neck of the convertor and probable forture leaks due to the neck not running true
The seal was pissing out anyway mate. Oh well. FWIW, it came out easily, didn't need yanking about or anything

I've always believed you take the TC out with the box, so looks like you need to re-mount it and make sure you re-fill it to the right level. Did it dump any fluid when you pulled it?
I drained the trans but there was still a pint or so in the T/C, which is now all over the floor. No biggy, I'll whip it off and mount it on the input shaft tomorrow.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,124 Posts
Not sure if they are the same as the boxes I've played with but there is usually some form of locating tang to drive the front oil pump. Best way to fit without popping the front oil seal inner spring is wedge the box dead upright so you can lower the tc on without any side pressure on the front seal.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thats what I do. Drop the flex plate bolts and pull the box with converter fitted. When putting the box back in, I push the converter into the box and support its weight while I rotate it to make sure I can see and feel it locate and drop into the oil pump drive in my th350 boxes. The cutouts for the oil pump drive in the torque converter tube are quite deep. When the box is fitted I pull the converter towards the engine about 3-4mm to make the converter lugs meet the flex plate as this is the expansion gap that you should have.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
First make sure you have 2 dowels and that they are in the block. Next clean them with some production paper and then clean the dowel holes in the trans. When you have the TC in the trans and offer it up you MUST be able to push the trans fully home against the block, by hand. If you have a gap and have to pull it together using bolts, chances are that the TC is not fully home. Once you have it together, snug up the 2 dowel bolts and poke you finger through the hole in the bell housing/starter hole and make sure the TC turns freely. If it doesn't take the trans out again and check the TC is all the way in. You can measure between the face of the bell housing and the foot of the TC and then do the same between the flex plate (where the TC bolt hole is) and the block and see if the measurements are the same plus about 3-6 mm clearance. See many broken pumps in transmission due to incorrect fitting.

Dont worry about the loss of fluid from the TC, When fitted fill the trans to the bottom mark of the dipstick. Then fire up the engine with the trans in park and continue filling to the bottom mark. If you can gently run the car through R, then D, and L, with the wheels off the ground. Do this a couple of times and recheck the level. Quick spin around the block and recheck level again. Make sure you get a clean line of fluid on the dip stick as its easy to mistake the fluid line when filling due to it being in the filler tube and smearing on the dip stick.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
343 Posts
On a lighter note ..let sombody know what your doing if on your own or have a person nearby ..
My first box auto box i ever removed with the car on wheel ramps , I was not ready for when the box droped
and left me trapped under the car and the box wedged on my chest and firmly stuck in tunnel ..
I was living in a block of flats , And nobody came through the car park for ages leaving me flapping my legs around
and no wind left in me to shout for help !

·
Premium Member
14,388 Posts
to locate the t/c in the box gently push it in while turning it with the other hand. it should go in in three distinct steps to be fully home. a wiggle with the pushing hand while turning helps. if you're unsure measure from the t/c mounting face out to the bellhousing front face (use a straight edge across the bellhousing). then measure from the back face of the block to the back side of the flex plate where the t/c mounts. the box measurement should be very slightly larger so the t/c pulls forward away from the t/c seal as you do up the t/c to flexplate nuts/bolts. hope that makes sense. neil.

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
As mygasser says , I usually stand them on the tail shaft , take most of the weight of the TC & slowly rotate it until you feel the splines line up , let it slide down then repeat. Don't know about the cruise-a-matic but on the C4 there are 2 sets of splines & a pair of flats to line up, the flats can take a while to find.

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First make sure you have 2 dowels and that they are in the block. Next clean them with some production paper and then clean the dowel holes in the trans. When you have the TC in the trans and offer it up you MUST be able to push the trans fully home against the block, by hand. If you have a gap and have to pull it together using bolts, chances are that the TC is not fully home. Once you have it together, snug up the 2 dowel bolts and poke you finger through the hole in the bell housing/starter hole and make sure the TC turns freely. If it doesn't take the trans out again and check the TC is all the way in. You can measure between the face of the bell housing and the foot of the TC and then do the same between the flex plate (where the TC bolt hole is) and the block and see if the measurements are the same plus about 3-6 mm clearance. See many broken pumps in transmission due to incorrect fitting.

Dont worry about the loss of fluid from the TC, When fitted fill the trans to the bottom mark of the dipstick. Then fire up the engine with the trans in park and continue filling to the bottom mark. If you can gently run the car through R, then D, and L, with the wheels off the ground. Do this a couple of times and recheck the level. Quick spin around the block and recheck level again. Make sure you get a clean line of fluid on the dip stick as its easy to mistake the fluid line when filling due to it being in the filler tube and smearing on the dip stick.

Hope this helps.
to locate the t/c in the box gently push it in while turning it with the other hand. it should go in in three distinct steps to be fully home. a wiggle with the pushing hand while turning helps. if you're unsure measure from the t/c mounting face out to the bellhousing front face (use a straight edge across the bellhousing). then measure from the back face of the block to the back side of the flex plate where the t/c mounts. the box measurement should be very slightly larger so the t/c pulls forward away from the t/c seal as you do up the t/c to flexplate nuts/bolts. hope that makes sense. neil.
As mygasser says , I usually stand them on the tail shaft , take most of the weight of the TC & slowly rotate it until you feel the splines line up , let it slide down then repeat. Don't know about the cruise-a-matic but on the C4 there are 2 sets of splines & a pair of flats to line up, the flats can take a while to find.
Gents, thanks to all three of you. I took the time to fit the t/c onto the trans and ensure it was roatationg freely. On this model you can actually hear the tangs on the t/c engaging the oil pump if you listen carefully. held it in place and offered up the trans to the flexplate. On this type, the trans has 4 studs which bolt through the flexplate. Lined it up, & the trans slotted home so neatly we were left wondering what we had missed out.

Not had a chance to run it yet (ran out of time), thats the plan for monday night.

On a lighter note ..let sombody know what your doing if on your own or have a person nearby ..
My first box auto box i ever removed with the car on wheel ramps , I was not ready for when the box droped
and left me trapped under the car and the box wedged on my chest and firmly stuck in tunnel ..
I was living in a block of flats , And nobody came through the car park for ages leaving me flapping my legs around
and no wind left in me to shout for help !
That made me chuckle, we have all been there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts