Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got mine yesterday, well had a shit couple of years with my parents health and my brother having a freak accident then losing my sister in law to cancer, got me thinking of all the projects I have, my age , working full time F*** me if all goes well ive got between 12-15 years of quality time building n riding/driving and the last 10 years have flown by.
Anyway I was discussing the above with a workmate yesterday then about 1/2 hour later I started feeling a bit shit so went for a walk around the yard to get some fresh air then gets pain in my chest , my heart went into overdrive beating three times too fast, ended up in hospital.
The A&E team were 1st class they had to sedate me then zap me to get my heart to beat regular, thank F*** it was not a full blown heart attack, so the moral of the story is SLOW THE F*** DOWN don't take on too much and enjoy what you have and the time you have to enjoy it

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
917 Posts
Blimey,gald you are ok.Lost a couple of friends recently.One who was getting on a bit so not a major surprise,another although not a close friend,same age as me,died on his way to work in his van.All we know is he stopped in the slow moving traffic,and never moved on.People behind eventually got out to see what was going on to see him in distress,but couldnt open the door as the van has the door locks that come on when you pull away.A passing off duty copper broke the glass and got the door open but despite peoples best efforts he couldnt be revived.51 years old.
I for one am trying my best to take things as they come these days.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,348 Posts
Yup, I know the score and am very realistic about what time I'm likely to have left ( waking up every morning is still a bonus ) .However if you look at what I have around me you'd never believe it, looks like I think I'm going to live forever LOL However if it gets done it get's done ,if it doesn't that's good as well. As long as I've got something different to drive round in I'm happy nowadays .

You may have seen my recent post about my friend being in Critical care . Well we ( think it's just 6 of us now ) are the last remaining from a 30 strong group ,with the same disease , from 26 years ago.

Recently saw this quote

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain

·
Administrator
10,035 Posts
Similar to my strapline Kev, every man dies - but not every man really lives.

Dont put stuff off and live your dreams - who knows how long any of us have.
Like Schumaker - tragedy that he will probably never wake up (despite recent press stories) but boy did he live hard when he was alive - he did more in half a lifetime than most would do in ten.

Hope you recover soon Dave.

·
to much to do
249 Posts
working for an undertaker Im surrounded by death i see that it has no respect for age or gender and i have never seen a coffin with pockets so you cant take your money with you , remember everybody dies but not everybody lives.

I was offered a cheap coffin the other day i thought fuck that's the last thing i need !

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
I was offered a cheap coffin the other day i thought fuck that's the last thing i need !
That made me chuckle, did it fall off the back of a lorry :D

When I go I just want a cardboard one it's only going in the oven for a few hours so it's not as though I need anything fancy :incheek:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,348 Posts
working for an undertaker Im surrounded by death i see that it has no respect for age or gender and i have never seen a coffin with pockets so you cant take your money with you , remember everybody dies but not everybody lives.

Andy was that Lesleys 'The Wecock' version. ? ;)

·
Stroker
5,563 Posts
This knowledge can come with age, hopefully not too late!
Take it easy!
Figure there's a few rodders in the 50s now and it does make you wonder what's in store.

Given half the chance I'm a workaholic (self employed long time) but now work in a payroll job in the geriatric / dementia field (thought I may as well get closer lol).
All started with mum's (care) and her demise due to smoking ****.
I now meet a lot of folks some happy as Larry, some who wish they were dead as they feel their quality of life in retirement is awful. Whether it's just old age or chronic illness, it's just a reminder to enjoy every day, no matter what your age.

I unwound after my turn at night shifts with a trip to one of the best pubs in UK, the Bell, Bath :tup: and saw the brilliant Hot Tin Roof play a blinder.
All for nowt too :tup:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Stay positive you lot.....I had a couple of heart attacks around 14 months ago.....went to hospital today for a scan and whatever I'm doing now is helping cos my leaky heart valve is now moderate to low risk compared to moderate to high last year....live your dreams:tup:

·
Registered
839 Posts
hi dave,you take things easy....thats a warning shot been fired...thank god you got the help so quick...and boab (mr quickwhip)...thats good news about your dicky ticker...
my cancer doc was happy with me on tuesday too...and iv been given the ok to get dentures...they were unsure because of the osteoradionecrosis...but my gums have healed,thank goodness...
it doesnt seem two years since we lost jim lyon...in his early 40s...just a boy...gone too soon...it doesnt seem like 13 years since i lost joyce to cancer at 40...you just never know whats in front of you...

gotta make the most of the time we have left...make sure we tell the ones we love, that we love them...

...al

·
Registered
134 Posts
Dave, you've been burnin the candle at both ends and it's catching up with ya pal! I didn't think you could take things easy, your Mr laid back cool dude!!! Great to hear your back on your feet. I'm ready for that beer when you come up North. Get well soon Phil

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Big Thanks for all the replies , Ime taking a different approach to things now, not pushing myself too hard, I had put my new engine in the Cresta just before I was poorly
So the last few days I have just been pottering along finishing it off , when ive had enough its time to go home.
Got it fired up yesterday big smile then the water pump started pissing and so did the carb, O bugger I thought never mind I will just have to change them
for the spare one`s , nothing to get stressed about ,tools out job sorted ,simple, tomorrow`s another day.

Phil, I will give you a bell when ime coming up its about time we had that beer.

Cheers Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts