Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've never had a decent one, either far too complicated with loads of stuff we don't need ,or mega expensive cartridges that last about 10 pages ( yes, we've used the refill service etc ) .Currently have an Epson Sx130 which is starting to play up so looking for a replacement.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
got a cannon mp600 but use it for scanning mags etc, also printing on discs

i ALWAYS get my ink from ebay, it takes 5 cartridges, atleast £12 each from shops and they have a chip on them, i can get 2 full sets thats 10 cartridges from ebay for less than £10 posted

·
Registered
39 Posts
try a Kodak espc315, sorry don't know price got given, but know it's not expensive, works well and refills are cheap, more expensive HP singing dancing deskjet sat in corner due to cost of ink cartridges.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just had a quick search and came across an announcement that Kodak have stopped making/selling printers so that's why I couldn't get a price, but there are masses of deals on inks, there are some used ones on amazon at about £12. so I might be back on the hp soon, when they stop the cartridges. info probably not a lot of help, I learn't in the process.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
If you use a printer infrequently buy a laser printer, I have a second hand color laser printer that I bought 5 years ago. I have yet to change any of the toner cartridges and got a full spare set with the printer as part of the sale! My parents have a deskjet type printer and although they rarely use it are always buying cartridges for it. They've probably spent more on ink in the last 2 years than my printer cost. Unless you keep a deskjet turned on constantly it will run through "cleaning" cycles every time it's switched on like its a game, all the time wasting ink.

The manufacturers know the money in the ink sales which is why most home printers are artificially cheap to buy. At times it can work out wiser to buy another cheap printer than to re-ink your current one.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Every printer we have had we've spent more on cartridges than buying it in the first place :( My mate ( with the same model) gets 5 times the amount of printing from his cheap ebay cartridges than we have ever done ( from the same cartridges ) and we've turned it down to most economical settings. It doesn't get anywhere near the suggested amount of pages to cartridge that I've found online.

We probably print 10 pages a month and need cartridges every couple of months .

Is there a simple reason for this that I'm missing?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Kev,

I think stu460 has nailed it. My experience is the same as yours. I hate printers they always use tons of ink require a new print head blah blah and like you I hardly use it, I suspect that is the problem. I even wonder if, other than the inconvenience, it would be cheaper to take stuff to be printed. Think I'll look into a colour laser new or top end second hand. I always feel like that cat in the you tube link someone posted a while back….

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Beware of wifi 1s as you need to go to there site before it can used and they want to know everything,and if it fails to work after which 3 hps i bought did ,till the forth 1 did but still a pain to use and ink not cheap.I check ink prices first then buy that,but did not this time and regret it.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
samsung ml-2165 laser printer here. black and white only, but cheap to buy, toners not that steep and works for a long time now and gets used alot with no isues at all.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Every printer we have had we've spent more on cartridges than buying it in the first place :( My mate ( with the same model) gets 5 times the amount of printing from his cheap ebay cartridges than we have ever done ( from the same cartridges ) and we've turned it down to most economical settings. It doesn't get anywhere near the suggested amount of pages to cartridge that I've found online.

We probably print 10 pages a month and need cartridges every couple of months .

Is there a simple reason for this that I'm missing?
Kev, if you don't use them regularly, the ink dries up, i print a test page every few days, just to keep it going.
We have a kodak, cheapest ink i've ever bought, its wifi, but setting it up took less than 5 minutes, and no site visits.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts