Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I know registering a car from the States has beed covered on here a thousand times or more!
I have had a look though previous threads etc, but am unsure of my best option for Registering my truck??

It's 1955 F100 that I bought back in 2005 when it needed to be Moted to register, but now things have changed regarding this rule.
It still isn't finished either which does help! But think I need to get it done while things are the way they are.

But my issue is I have no us tilte, and don't want to apply for v5 if there is something else I can do to help things along easily.
I do have a customs form though with the vehicle chassis and age on, and also customs declarations number, but am unsure if that is enough.

Any help and advise would be a big big help!

Thanks Mark

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,719 Posts
My friend just registered a cadillac that's been here over 10 years with out a title, got a letter from the Classic American Auto Club to the DVLA out lining what the vehicle was and it all went really smoothly. Might charge you for a letter if you're not a member but worth it

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
My friend just registered a cadillac that's been here over 10 years with out a title, got a letter from the Classic American Auto Club to the DVLA out lining what the vehicle was and it all went really smoothly. Might charge you for a letter if you're not a member but worth it
I'm surprised by that. Theoretically if you bought a wreck from the USA and took the tags of it and sent them to yourself and then pinched a similar car here and transferred the numbers to the decent one(which, face it, isn't hard to do on most yanks) you could then register a roadworthy car....:shake:

Just noticed that you have a V5! In that case you'll be fine!!!! They didn't inspect the last 3 yanks I imported, but maybe without all the paperwork they'll check yours over.

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
I'm surprised by that. Theoretically if you bought a wreck from the USA and took the tags of it and sent them to yourself and then pinched a similar car here and transferred the numbers to the decent one(which, face it, isn't hard to do on most yanks) you could then register a roadworthy car....:shake:
good point Johnny, now don't be giving yourself ideas:incheek::D

·
1,719 Posts

Just noticed that you have a V5! In that case you'll be fine!!!! They didn't inspect the last 3 yanks I imported, but maybe without all the paperwork they'll check yours over.
The car came from Georgia where they don't issue titles like a few states don't.

·
1,719 Posts
Have done it a few times on cars without titles, either lost or not issued, letter saying what car is and decoding VIN needs to come from a recognised club. Was even easier this time as since all the VROs have closed there wasn't anywhere to inspect it.

·
1,719 Posts
Ok, so not all states have tilte docs, what do you guys who import them do when you don't have a title?
You usually need a bill of sale, proof of duties paid and a letter as stated above, the car we just did had a 386 which got put on the NOVO system as they were happy with what was sent them. Not sure if it would work the same now 386s aren't issued but can't see why not

1 - 13 of 13 Posts