Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Brixton Hill Buick Inc.
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't see any snakes, but did see a pile of flatties leaning against a wall, and an original '34 sedan needing some love and some Mercury coupes and..and...and...

·
Global Warmer
1,200 Posts
Nice one Dave! Will give me somewhere to visit when we are with the Outlaws in Cape Town at Christmas....

P.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My Gran used to go to South Africa every year to stay with friends.She came back with photos similar to yours saying they were free for the taking.The old fella told her he'd be happy to give them up but the snakes might not be happy about it.Apparently it was home to Black Mambas and you couldn't get anywhere near the cars without them attacking you.
Saddly Gran died and the contact was lost,but i still wonder what might have been if i'd gotten my hands on some of the stuff.

·
Brixton Hill Buick Inc.
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...not from this place sadly, the old guy who runs it apparently won't sell any of it, so it's just sitting there, there's so much more than in my friend's photos, it's the most unbelievable place....

·
Registered
246 Posts
It was a more rural place where my Gran used to go.Cant think what it was called.It wasn't the snakes,sharks or rampaging elephant stories or even the locals throwing bricks at you that put me off going (late 80's) it was the offer of a free holiday with her raving pufter friends.lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
Once i went on a walking trip through the transvall in south africa (At the time i lived in johannesburg ). we were walking across a plain , When we came across a ditch about twenty feet deep and about the same wide . This was full of cars from all era's , mainly 50's and 60's and the ditch went as far as you could see left and right. I asked one of the guide's about it , he had followed it for around 5kms to the left and came to a farm.
The ditch itself was a divider between two farms and the cars were to stop animals crossing

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,362 Posts
Practical Classics did another feature on S.Africa about 8 years ago & they brought a few old Mercs back to the UK, the process was quite straightforward. The problem is that certain areas of S.Africa have a lot of rain at certain times of the year & some cars are just as rotten as over here! Those that are good bodily can be mechanically worn out due to poor roads & a lack of an MoT test.

So, yes, there are some decent cars out there, but you have to look carefully.

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
My Daughters in the CapeTown area at the moment, I wonder if she can fit a few spare parts in her suitcase, Now wheres my phone!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts