Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not burying your wife under the patio, but lifting a 50's Yank body off the chassis. I'm reaching a point where I need to remove the Ranchero body off the chassis so I can finish off the underside & prep it for painting. I've got a custom made body jig/roller for it which fastens to four body mounts, the problem is getting it onto there.....

The chances of getting hold of 6 other people to do the lifting, all with a few hours to spare at the same time is remote, so has anyone else removed a body single handed? Would an engine crane be up to the job, maybe passing a sling round the sills & putting the boom of the crane in through the door apperature?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I lifted the body off my chevy blazer by use of the engine crane for the front end and a couple of trolley jacks and timber for the rear end, a bit precarious but taking things slowly and evenly it was ok. Once high enough I rested the body on two large timbers through the wheel arches and the timbers were resting on concrete blocks, I was then able to roll the chassi out from under the body.
I did a Triumph Spitfire last month, a lot easier, strap through the rear arches another one just at the front of the sills and attached both straps to a JCB rear bucket, then lift sooooo easy, mind I didn't want the body so it didn't matter if it failed, which it didn't.

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
I did mine using two trolley jacks and loads of packing pieces.

Lifted under the front crossmsmber and the rear axle as high as it would go, then put axle stands under to support while I took the bolts out, then made supports, under the fron of the main tub and the shock mounts, and lowered the chassis away. The only problem was I could not take the chassis from under, so had to work round it.........

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
What size joists are in the garage? Throw a chain round a joist, hang a block and tackle off it, and use that to lift body. Even better with two, and sling a stout timber between them, through cab. Few inches each side, and it will soon be up in the air enough to get chassis out

·
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy, joists are 10" x 2" over an 18' span, as the car's in the middle I wouldn't want to risk hoisting it up by them. Looks like I might have it sussed as Liam has offered to pimp Lee out to me for an hour with an engine hoist. If I use one each side it should be ample. Just need to clear some space.......

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Jam posts either side of the of the floor to joist to ad strength with chain blocks in the middle if you get stuck.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
This is how I did mine. A little precarious to say the least, but it worked

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Just give me a shout Gary, unless you are doing it this weekend...!!!

·
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. As the shell is bare with no panels on, I'll go with a couple of mates and an engine crane & see how we get on.

·
Care in the Community
2,759 Posts
I'd bolt some brackets to the firewall and use the engine crane to lift from there, get a couple of mates lifting at the back end then roll the frame out from underneath, then you've got free space while you get it on the rotisserie.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts