Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to do a build up of my Renault frigate on here
I bought this car in early 2021 and hope to have it on the road -not necessarily finished later in the year
the car had been fully resprayed in 1993 and never reassembled since then , been through a few owners since and a few parts have been mislaid along the way , fuel cap flap was missing along with the glove box lid -along with a few other small parts such as the engine and gearbox !!, it was originals an auto car but I think I will stick a 4 speed munci in it .

its going to have a few upgrades to the brakes and suspension as well as a few kustom features , I am going to build it as my everyday runaround and do somewhat of a rolling restoration / kustom car type of thing with it , hence the rattle can paint job

its just been stuck in my unit for the last 6 months, with new restrictions on operating hours (thanks to the banger racers -who have now left ) I have taken it home to get it running there
A few pictures how I received it

s

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I really don't like two tone colour schemes or the colours , 6 cans of spray paint later ....

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no way to really stick a ford 460 in there , so sbc 350 it is .

Reactions: Torment

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
still all kind of tight so I am going to mount the engine solid on motor mounts , I don't want to go through a sva with this as its meant to be a quickish job , all fits in without cutting anything except the exhaust headers and the sump, , next job sorting out the dashboard and pedal box , changing all the clocks so everything electrically is going to be new .

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The engine is WAY over the front of the x member , I would like it back a little way but without loads of cutting ,its not going to happen .
I will be keeping it legal re the 8 point rule but may have a few jaguar axle components !!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a few updates ,received the front engine plate from the states temporally fitted that on some box section , that gave me the chance to cut the mid-plate in totally the wrong place and weld it back together !! ,
the original heater was fitted in the engine bay , to clean things up a bit a BL mini one will be installed behind the dashboard , screen vents cut out and flipped to be inside the car .
After making a good job with the Chinese headers I found a set of nice thick header flanges in my hordes of chevy parts and refitted those .

lastly I placed in situ, a set of Ferrari Scaglietti wheels , I bought these from eBay for approx £350 (with tyres) a year or two ago , talking to the seller after I had paid and received them ,he said they were a £6000 extra when he bought his car!!! , I think he just wanted them to go to a good home -looks like he found one , John

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fitted the biggest radiator that I had in stock , nice big 3 " thick double pass ,USA made rad that I bought from the southern swap meet a couple of years ago, EBay fan in the front -no way to fit it behind the radiator , but works fine like this on my 572ci ford capri. Started to fill the random holes in the engine bay to tidy it up a bit , ordered a few other parts this week- updated later , thinking of going turbo with this now , I am going to use some of my best parts that I have been hoarding for the last few years its going to be a sort of pro-touring car now , I do have a few nice sbc parts but I am going to put a stockish engine together first just to get it on the road for now . John

·
Registered
86 Posts
There's a nice one on hamb that a French guy did as a kustom with a 2 litre pinto in it. His hamb name is ratatouille if that helps.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
small update , started to build the 3rd set of headers !! turbos will be mounted up high -dont really like the look -but it does give easy access to everything and turbo oil can just drain back to the sump, intercoolers will be hidden under the headlights along with a pair of custom made air boxes, aircraft style intake vents to be sunk in (white paper templates) for airbox/intercooler ,my Mercedes E430 broke down this week so any bits I need will now be taken off that starting with the wiper motor as this car really, really needs a new one , John

Reactions: Taxirod

·
Premium Member
2,296 Posts
Nice project, all the best with your plans to get it on the road quickly. I'll be watching!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers Ian , now my road car is er--off the road, -poxy drivers key packed up -making a perfectly good car a right off!!! ,this one is now a bit more urgent , the Mercedes will provide a load of good parts , battery, door rubbers , window winder motors etc etc , its always a good idea to use as many parts as possible of one car ,if I need parts in the future I have at least 1/2 a clue as to what car they came off , John

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
did you try a new battery in the mercedes key yet? i thought i'd need a write the car off expensive key for one of my mercedes but the parts guy said ''shall i try a new battery for you first?''. he clipped it in and it worked a treat. i'd always been told they were sealed for life kind of deal and were hundreds to replace, i was glad i went and asked for sure.
neil.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I changed the alarm batteries ,I will have a look to see if anything else is sneaked in there as well , Thanks John

·
Premium Member
14,702 Posts
yes, they have a battery in the plastic key/fob that works the door locking and immobiliser too from memory.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts