Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Seems rather petty and harsh. Is it because JLR want to build their own replicas?

This copyright thing is well enforced eg at a low level try looking for a Triumph motorcycle T shirt with the Triumph logo that isn't from an official Triumph site.

Could Ford come after somebody for building a glass Model B Roadster? I know it's modified, but it's their shape.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Unless it was an exact 100% copy,every screw,nut and bolt and using all original parts I cannot possibly see how they won the case?? Obviously money talks if their legal bill is that high. I just hope every car enthusiast into jaguar and Land Rover avoids them now but I cannot see that in reality,they are bit of a different breed!!

·
Administrator
9,730 Posts
There is another side...
From a statement by JLR:
“Despite assertions in the Creare News Release, Jaguar Land Rover is not going after private owners of pre-existing individual replica vehicles, nor insisting upon the destruction of their vehicles. However, we will take action to enforce our rights against businesses using our IP illegally for their own profit. The defendants in this case had started a business to build and sell six Jaguar C-type replicas for over Euros 250 thousand each. Action to protect our IP has been very much aimed at the commercial replica manufacturers, people aiming to build and sell replicas as a business infringing our copyright and trademarks.”

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So the alleged poor pensioners were not just enthusiasts but were setting up a business. Totally different slant on things.

I guess though any business producing replicas of any type could still be in the mire with this ruling being used.

·
Registered
892 Posts
It certainly puts a different complexion on things. You can see why they might be agitated. Carroll Shelby I think had this issue with the plethora of replica Cobras.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I guess selling replacement shells is different to actually producing a full blown replica car.
I mean you could re-shell a rusty 32 ford with a fibreglass body if you wanted

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
An Indian company

Mentions Jaguar have given out 2000 drawings to replica car builders, imagine they had to sign some kind of contract saying the drawings won't be used for profit.
bye bye?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Firstly Jaguar shouldn't be part of Land Rover, as they have no commonality, and secondly they shouldn't have been sold over seas, and the British govt should have stopped that; the pathetic piece of crap they are now selling as a "Defender" couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, and the Free loader the became the Ebroque is a complete waste of money (don't ask me how I know that)

A big thing on the telly a while back about Jaguar building the lost cars, all hand made and totally original, except they weren't all hand made at Jaguar, or for that matter totally original; as they cant even build an accurate replica of their "own car", I don't see how they have a case with regards to someone else, and as for intellectual property, well the Indians (or for that matter Fords before them) only bought the name with the intention of building completely new cars, not a continuation of the (at that time) current range (beyond the point that a new model could be introduced) much like the BMW mini .

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yep. They've owned it for a while now.
I think it's owned by the Tata group, a big paternalistic Indian conglomerate. They also own part of our steel industry. India are on the up, and of course own Royal Enfield and have opened an R&D centre in the UK. The wheel turned a full circle. Funnily enough, I think India's still a recipient of UK Foreign Aid.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I provided Dust Extraction Kit to Browns Lane when they were building the E types to use up the Vin numbers......from memory I think that were 12 built with numbers but a 13th was built so they could learn how to build them.....supposed to be true replicas but when I asked if the fixings were Metric the answer was rather muffled !.......Bonnets came from a pressings company in the North East who still display one in their reception area...

Another piece of useless info is that when I went to Browns Lane there was a film crew recording Rimmer from Red Dwarf fame driving a C type around area that had just been delivered on a trailer.......was it real ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,100 Posts
Even OEM don't understand how DVLA work!!!!!

Just because you have unused chassis numbers does not mean a car can be registered as a 'Continuation' . That does NOT expempt it from having to meet ALL modern safety standards.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts

Just because you have unused chassis numbers does not mean a car can be registered as a 'Continuation' . That does NOT expempt it from having to meet ALL modern safety standards.
Maybe they do but choose to ignore them like the rest of us

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Maybe they do but choose to ignore them like the rest of us
What a private individual can get away with and what a major car manufacturer can get away with is a whole different world. Apparently the replicar/continuation cars cannot even be raced under historic.
I suspect that there is a whole lot more to this than meets the eye, but it could open floodgates for simular cases.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Pretty saucey of em for doing it too i recon..

Carol Shelby did it...and got into some trouble too from what i remember reading somewhere.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts