Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,141 Posts
Hadn't spotted this post before but we had the press release about a week back . I included it my post over in chat re ' a car is born' .Looks like they already had a system for registering cars correctly that has been ignored and ,following from such high profile cases as Boyds registration issues, they have decided to clamp down. At least they have come up with an amnesty .

The golden days of free for all car modifying are behind us know and we are becoming endangered by green and safety groups constant lobbying for tighter regs.

We have a system that is usable ,as has been proved , and is the envy of the rest of Europe. I belong to a pan European group on the HAMB where we share info we what is or isn't allowable in different countries. What comes across big style is we have it so good and that the rest of Europe is looking to the UK for guidance and a supply of cars to allow the fledgling rodding movement to survive.

At least our test is an cheap way of registering a ground up compared to the US road tax based on cost price and gas guzzler additional premium.

It is not only rods that are under threat but any form of car modifying with chip tuning already banned in Germany whilst the entire situation, including traditional tuning methods including larger engine swaps, is reviewed by EUNECE.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What comes across big style is we have it so good and that the rest of Europe is looking to the UK for guidance and a supply of cars to allow the fledgling rodding movement t survive.

given enough pressure (or big enough bribs/ pension plans for the right mep ;)) we'll more than likely see that change too Kev :tdown:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,141 Posts
It will if we don't protect it Chris .Europe is still not happy that we can do what we do and that we have the BIVA test ( surely that's reason enough to use and keep it ? ;) :finger: )

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm guilty on this occassion for skim reading the SEMA notes, but isn't it more a case of the States wanting to get back taxes rather then any build restrictions or amendments?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,141 Posts
Yes ,it's about taxes due rather than fresh restrictions being placed .However I believe California already has a once in a lifetime only Chopper build clause ie you can build one but are never allowed to sell it .

However it woudl hamper fresh builds as there are taxes to be paid which many have avoided in the past hence the amnesty.

It comes down to when you build a fresh car then it must be titled as such not passed off as an older one to exempt you from higher registration and yearly use taxation rates .It doesn't only apply just to glass cars but to those steel ones built from a pile of bought /scrounged /found /secondhand parts that have had no previous identity.

·
Registered
502 Posts
However I believe California already has a once in a lifetime only Chopper build clause ie you can build one but are never allowed to sell it .
That would work well for me, as I hate selling cars on - say to the wife "sorry Hon, but I have to build another one as the government won't let me sell it" :tup:

I quite agree though, we need to keep a weather eye on other countries and we do not want to shoot ourselves in the foot by trying to flout BIVA etc.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Think I've read this right, correct me if I'm wrong.

It refers to new builds with a glass body (or one of those new steel bodies), it has to be registered as a new car and tax paid as such.
If you have the body of a real steel car from the day, say a '32, then it will not have a problem.
If you have a car that requires a smog check (which last I heard was based on a rolling 30 year period, ie right now that would be before '79) and you have dropped in a pre smog check engine, then you are screwed ?.......maybe I have read that wrong cause the way I understand the law is that a smog check is based on the year of the car, not the year of the motor. That means those post '79 cars have had to get through smog ANYWAY......I'm confused.
Never had a problem getting any of my rods registered in So Cal when I lived there. To be fair they were all steel bodied cars so maybe thats why. I used a broker who done it all for me (didnt work for the DMV), I never left the house. She would come out, check the car out, get the VIN No. (told me once that I had done a good job stamping the No's in...:shock:) ask where the car had come from (ie my '33 had been bought from Simon Lane back in the UK....she then said " I think it best that it was found in the desert somewhere".........oh, yes, thats right, what I am talking about, lol :tup:). And off she would go, couple of days latter and a small fee for her and my tax was paid, and I had plates and tags in hand.....simples !
Wonder if she will still a have business once this comes into affect.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
just swipped this off a us forum i use, seems their not happy bunnies......

guys got a fair point though, well, at least in the 1st paragraph anyway ;)

"They certainly are detracting from our pursuit of happiness. A 3-duece setup is not as much about the HP gain as it is appearance...so much for "artistic expression." Every rod having the same power plant pretty much takes the fun right out of the hobby. Today we can only run this engine package, tomorrow we can only run these tires, this body style, etc.

Maybe we need to classify rodding as a religion...then we could argue that they are violating our rights under the First Amendment. IN ROD WE TRUST!"

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Tell you whats more shocking about this is the HAMB have closed this thread (and another one that was started earlier on the same subject) because it involves politics !!!
I cant believe that they would do this when this is something that affects rodders in California and could well go on to other states....why would the HAMB do that.

Off subject but the same thing, last year my wife joined a USA Greyhound forum. When she started talking about the racing industry and the mistreatment of dogs after racing her posts were deleted and was giving a warning about discusing politics.

Thought the USA were big believers in the freedom of speach. I can understand if it was unrelated to the subject of the forum, but come on guys.......the rodding world looks to California as a leader in this hobby. I would have thought that this was important stuff that should discussed.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,141 Posts
Politics?Or possibly simply that many forget they are on the WWW and need to be protected from themselves ?;)

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
quote from a post on the HAMB:

" First one got shut down because of politics, but i think some people should be made aware, so keep out the politics out of this"

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
california, laws to reduce emissions on cars, so hotrods need to be of the streets with only 500 permissions for rods....... isnt thier governor a big austrian man that loves driving hummers and musclecars? ...... :incheek::incheek:
pascal

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
california, laws to reduce emissions on cars, so hotrods need to be of the streets with only 500 permissions for rods....... isnt thier governor a big austrian man that loves driving hummers and musclecars? ...... :incheek::incheek:
pascal
ahh, the good ole 'do as i say, not as i do' line fits nicely there ;)

no different to here really, we have our lot ramming that myth, i mean fact, that the planets burning up and we'v all got to stop driving fossil fuel cars, start using electric efforts (where do they think the fuckin power comes from to charge em :wanker:)
an we'v got to reduce our carbon footprint, presumably by scrapping our nice, usable old cars and buying a new one :tup:

and all the while our mp's get driven around in big jags to the airports so they can fly in their private jets to some far flung place to have their latest G20 summit on how to stop global warming - you gotta laugh or you'll cry :shake:

as britain is now 'digital' why aint they holding their summits via conference calling or video/ webcam links ?

oh yes of course, they cant possibly waste enough money doing it that way :wanker:

as iv managed to take this thread way off topic i'll try to redeem myself with a picture or two for you :)

:tup:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
ahh, the good ole 'do as i say, not as i do' line fits nicely there ;)

no different to here really, we have our lot ramming that myth, i mean fact, that the planets burning up and we'v all got to stop driving fossil fuel cars, start using electric efforts (where do they think the fuckin power comes from to charge em :wanker:)
an we'v got to reduce our carbon footprint, presumably by scrapping our nice, usable old cars and buying a new one :tup:

and all the while our mp's get driven around in big jags to the airports so they can fly in their private jets to some far flung place to have their latest G20 summit on how to stop global warming - you gotta laugh or you'll cry :shake:

as britain is now 'digital' why aint they holding their summits via conference calling or video/ webcam links ?

oh yes of course, they cant possibly waste enough money doing it that way :wanker:

as iv managed to take this thread way off topic i'll try to redeem myself with a picture or two for you :)

:tup:
Nice post Chris and I don't think 'off topic'. The things you refer to are all part of the same problem. As far as California is concerned- they have some of the most extreme 'eco-nazis' over there.
Some of us have Rose coloured glasses when it comes to America [I tend to,] but in reality there are lots of petty regulations [varies a lot state to state]and some of the authorities are over zealous to say the least.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts