Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you chaps are going to complain about this one, but there are girls on here too :)

I have a Rhona Roy dress that I think must be 50/60's. I bought it in a vintage shop 20 odd years ago. I wore it to my Mother-In-Laws wedding but I can't get into it now. :sniff:

Would anybody have any idea about it? I googled Rhona Roy but it hasn't come back with anything helpful.

I am thinking of selling it if anyone is interested.

The label says Size D BS 40/38
It has whale bone running down the front of the boobs.
Armpit to armpit it is 15" measure flat and straight across the front.
The waist is 12" measured flat across the front. (24" Waist:shocked:)
It is 36" long with a heavy thick lining underneath.
It has a zip up the back.
One of the spaghetti straps is missing. I think it would look super strapless.
It has a lovely pink silky sash around the waist as well which is attached to the dress. A cumberbund I guess.
I can't see any obvious damage to it.

Any idea, please let me know!

Cheers

Hotrod Girl

·
Have love will travel....
275 Posts
Have a look on ebay. I collect vintage and have done for 20 odd years. The label isn't anything particularly collectible, unlike say a Horrocks label. Have a look and put a decent reserve on it. Just wish it fitted me :tdown:

·
www.53catalina.co.uk
2,454 Posts
That is just soo wrong!

You need a proper felt roof on the shed, not a couple of plastic sheets held down with battens.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello fellow Rods n Sodders!

I did look on ebay Rebecca, but didn't have much success. Think I may pop into Bexhill to that vintage shop near the Funky Frog. I just don't want to pass it on to the hospice shop if it is of any value. Got a kid to get through school!!!

I KNEW someone would mention the shed! We moved in at the end of last year and we had rain and storms and everything. The shed roof took off. We covered it with the intention of replacing it this year. It is quite rotten.

We applied for planning permission at the beginning of the year for a garage and that is going to take forever. The planning notice is up until the 25 of May and then the council meet on the 22nd of June to discuss it. We are getting fed up with our cars being locked away where we can't get to them easily. Depending on the garage size, position etc... governs where the shed will go.
Anyway, dress. I am sure it would look lovely on you Rocking Woley but somehow I don't think it will fit! Have you ever typed transvesite into ebay?

Cheers

Hotrod Girl

·
Registered
777 Posts
no idea about the dress but the potted plant in the garden needs a good water!!LOL

and on a serious note "she who must be obeyed" is a size 12, 34D...would the dress fit??
if so I'll show her (if I just show her she'll want it anyway!!)..and what sort a price?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no idea about the dress but the potted plant in the garden needs a good water!!LOL

and on a serious note "she who must be obeyed" is a size 12, 34D...would the dress fit??
if so I'll show her (if I just show her she'll want it anyway!!)..and what sort a price?
Please feel free to come and do some gardening. :D

I would get the tape measure out later if I were you. Warm it up first.;)
It is a tiny 50's waist size. I have no idea on the price. All I know is it is old and I wish it fitted me :sniff: I will try and investigate.

Cheers

Hotrod Girl

·
Registered
149 Posts
Decided to have a search for Rhona Roy and there seems to be very little detail either about her or her clothes but as StueyT found there are some for sale in various vintage shops. So it looks like your dress is probably worth something ...:tup:

Here are a couple of links I came across. Might be worth contacting the places and asking if they buy:

http://www.thatindielook.com/acatalog/Vintage__Rhona_Roy__1950s_Pale_Blue_Patterned_Dress._Size_12.html

http://www.bartonandbarton.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_15EFR03

·
Old enough to know better
3,479 Posts
It won't fit herself.....or me.....But it'd look fab hung in our bedroom....

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
You could always take it to one of the big shows and get 'im indoors' to chase pretty fifties dressed women round the field shouting 'Wanna buy my frock?'

I've bought quite a lot of vintage clothing from Ebay and i've always paid fair money for it. The stuff that gets the best prices is always that which is displayed well. Preferably modelled, several shots and one holding the skirt out.

I reckon Liam Maltby's the only one skinny enough on here to model it for you but for Gawds sake get him to shave his legs first. ;)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you everyone for all of the advice you have given me. I will sit down at the weekend and contact some people.

I hadn't thought of MIlkcow. I do subscribe to it, but I thought it was mainly repro stuff. I will investigate further.

So, to all those that mocked my thread :p

I am happy though that you can talk about anything and everything on this forum. Show a sense of community.

A sincere thank you to you. :tup:

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Thank you everyone for all of the advice you have given me. I will sit down at the weekend and contact some people.

I hadn't thought of MIlkcow. I do subscribe to it, but I thought it was mainly repro stuff. I will investigate further.

So, to all those that mocked my thread :p

I am happy though that you can talk about anything and everything on this forum. Show a sense of community.

A sincere thank you to you. :tup:
Hi Hotrod Girl,

You may well be right about the repro stuff, i didn't really read the articles, just grabbed a few web addresses relating to the clothes side of things.

:tup: I wish you luck anyway.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Good luck with the dress!! :)
I have seen a few stalls at the Carshows selling vintage 50's dresses, and usually they are not cheap.
But i'm sure you will find someone who would love to own it, maybe someone from the rock n roll scene would be interested? There's UK Rock magazine that has all stories of events and it has advertising in it too.

It is quite a small size, the only thing maybe not in its favour, but you might be lucky.
Another idea, may look really nice as a prom dress, i bet there would be some nice young girls who would love to wear it, as 50's fashion is back in. :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts