Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning folks,

Today I'm changing the starter ring gear on my black top Zetec.

The old one is knackered so here's how I'm changing it.
Stop me if I'm wrong!

I've removed the clutch and taken off the flywheel,
Then I fired up the grinder and with a plasma disc put a couple of knicks in the side of the ring, out with the cold chisel BANG! one ring on the garage floor :)
In the mean time I've put the oven on to full whack, with the new gear inside, all the windows and doors are open and Liz is at work ;)
I've wirebrushed, sanded and wirewooled the flywheel and put it on the table outside the kitchen door.
Now just to wait.

It's pretty hard to tell which way round the gear is meant to fit, but I think I've sussed it, going with the writing towards the wheel as it looks like the chamfer is bigger that side.

I'll report back if it's worked to not.

Chaley

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I cant see an oven getting the ring gear hot or big enough to do that job. I normally set the ring gear on bricks and form a wall around it like a mini kiln , then give it a good roasting with a blow torch and quickly drop it on.

Bob

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well ladies and gents,
It only went and worked!
I stuck the flywheel in the freezer for 1/2 hour and the ring gear in the oven (250 fan) ;) for 1 hour.
And when i dropped the ring on the wheel there was a visible gap between the two.
Result!
And to think Liz laughed when I said I want the oven for the garage when we replace it in the summer :)

Chaley

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
That's good to know, I've always done ringears over a shallow metal drainer tray with some old sump oil and a few drops of petrol. Set light to the oil/petrol mixture and in about 5 minutes the ringear is ready to drop on. Have found this method to be absolutely reliable but it's a bit smoky till the oil really gets going, so isn't really neighbour friendly, especially if you happen to live in a built up area.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I would never get away with bringing stuff like that into the kitchen :scared: but cooking a ring gear on the barbie is a goodun :rule:

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts