Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so major modifications are being done on my project to the point where it no loner resembles what it originally left the factory as.....
My question is where do I stand on road registering it as the only parts it's retaining are the bulkhead and steering set up!!

Chassis is going to be a full custom build, bodywork again will be handmade and the axle/gearbox set up will be a custom set up to. So do I take it for a test as a seriously modified landrover or as a new build and if so where do I stand on that?

If not my other option is to buy a scamel chassis and V5 as it's essentially the chassis I'm having made up and use it as a scamel with a custom body leaving the chassis literally the same bar some outriggers for the new body

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
To be blunt, its landrovers that have caused a lot of this shit. and that's straight from the horses mouth. hence the vosa checkpoints at 4x4 meets. Wouldn't be driving round in an incorrectly registered landrover myself.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well no, it's been created but without landrovers in mind from what I read on glencoynes page

Either way this is now closer to a scamel now so either I modify a scamel chassis slightly or just put it down as a new build. As long as it passes I couldn't give a ..... I have no issues with the standard or quality of my workmanship especially welding so the chassis and bodywork will be rock solid, engine noise levels could be an issue with a 454 but other than that I think it should pass unless it has to go through as a truck due to it being massive now!

Will still be under 3500 gross though as I plan on having it weigh in around 3000 so I can carry 500 in the pickup bed

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
Dr evil i have edited your post,s because of your language, please bare in mind this is the on topic page and therefore open to all visitors including under age,
not big brother or over moderation just lets see our forum suitable for all yes ? thanks.... carry on lads.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
This will be a finished project....if it needs that test then I suppose I'll have to go down that route. Well unless they change the rules again....
The rules will not change again about requirements to register a new build vehicle. It MUST have a certificate of conformity OR a MAC ( Ministers approval certificate issued after succesfully passing the relevant test ) . The only changes to the rules within the IVA scheme are either clarifications or the end of time limited exemptions.

I've looked at Glencoynes page re registrations and modifications.It is unfortunately has many inaccuracies . The TRUE facts of the matter ,clarified with direct contact with VOSA technical and DVLA Policy can be found over at www.the-ace.org.

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/chassis-and-monocoque-modification/

The big inaccuracy is that it IS a legal requirement to advise DVLA of a chassis change. As always the choice of what you do is yours, as are any consequences, just do it from an informed point of view not 'pub' facts.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I did more reading last night trying to find the requirements, managed to find the PDF but as I'm on my phone currently it's a pain to read so without going into too much depth I presume

A) I have no need for air bags
B) my emissions are based on engine year
C) as long as I'm under 3.5 tonnes gross it's ok (I'm on a new license)
D) there's no need for exhaust cats etc as the engine is old
E) the noise level must be appropriate for the engine in question so the V8 should be ok loud? Or make it quiet then make it louder after testing
F) as it was already based on the landrover I have no need for seatbelts or fog lights ?
G) my one speed wiper set up should be ok ?

The fuel set up etc I have no problem with as I'm building the tank into the chassis so it will be leak free and secure, immobiliser won't be needed as I have no ecu set up and all gauges will light up and finally I have no need for seatbelts but if I fit them I should use factory seats with the buckles on the side ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
I'll need to update myself on the N1 regs before replying . I'm used to the SVA for commercial and BIVA for cars so will check have to see what's been updated and I'll reply when I've had a run through:)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Dr evil i have edited your post,s because of your language, please bare in mind this is the on topic page and therefore open to all visitors including under age,
not big brother or over moderation just lets see our forum suitable for all yes ? thanks.... carry on lads.
there is a swear filter in the settings for the more delicate souls so no need to moderate really

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
The thing is you can't legally register it as radically altered as it doesn't have enough points to qualify. You can run it on the old book that relates to ...well what does it relate to new chassis and body so nothing really?That puts you into misuse of v5c territory which carries a penalty of £5000 and /or 24 months of Her Majestys. I only know of a couple that have ended up like that and it wasn't due to modified cars. Normal penalty is removal of your right to registration and being sent for BIVA to obtain a new one.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,444 Posts
If you intend to go the BIVA route your best bet would be to start a build thread so people can see how far you've already got and advise from there because with BIVA you need to work to the guidelines from the start, especially considering the need for receipts and photographic record from the start.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
A quick answer to your other post

A) I have no need for air bags
In fact airbags totally disallowed from test

B) my emissions are based on engine year
Correct but you have to provide suitable proof of date of manufacture of engine

C) as long as I'm under 3.5 tonnes gross it's ok (I'm on a new license)
Amateur build commercial takes you to 6.5 tons anyway

D) there's no need for exhaust cats etc as the engine is old
No need for cast, even on a normally cat equipped providing it meets emission spec without them

E) the noise level must be appropriate for the engine in question so the V8 should be ok loud? Or make it quiet then make it louder after testing
There is a specified noise level it must meet 101db ( achieved on a 350 sbc with only 2 Flowmasters fitted)

F) as it was already based on the landrover I have no need for seatbelts or fog lights ?
It's not based on a Landrover or anything else for that matter. It is treated as a completely new vehicle for the purposes of the test . Therefore it must meet modern spec inc seat belts and fog AND reverse lights.

G) my one speed wiper set up should be ok ?
See above must be 2 speed wipers with a laid down min rate of sweep for each speed

1 - 20 of 94 Posts