Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the first best rememberd Show Cars was Rob Whitwells Deuce. First debuted in White the flames followed and it graced many a teenagers bedroom wall. Approx build date 77, car is still about in different guise, now grey & chopped. When Rob owned it it was used in p38 adverts starring Rob with P38 in his hand.....as if!!

Origionally built with a pinto ford and later changed for a V8. Believed to be one of the first out of the jago mould.

The free poster that graced many a teenage boy's wall.

Following pics are thanks to Baron Von VVankel.

Rear number plate drops down underneath when you switch the ignition on

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Yep! i had that Hot Car poster on my bedroom wall as a teenager.

Heres the Plastic Padding ad...

Custom Car mag June 1979

I cant take the credit for this photo from back in the day...

or this one...

But i did take this one...

And these in June 2009 in Milton keynes...

Almost unreconisable from the 1970's...

Rear number plate drops down underneath when you switch the ignition on

A very special car for me and built by a teenager!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rob Whitwell's Deuce Coupe in the '70's

I went to the Southgate college at the same time Rob was there, we both had motorbikes, but I didnt get to know him until the custom car scene a few years later. He is a quiet, almost shy chap, yet very open and friendly when addressed. I was stunned the first time I saw his Deuce Coupe, it was immaculate. Rob did everything on the car himself. The car was launched with the 1600 Pinto engine because he was keen to get it on the road and the V8 lump was still being prepared. He picked me up on the way to a club meet in Harrow one Saturday evening, it was already dark and my first time in the coupe with the V8 power plant. Typical for custom cars at that time, the ride was firm but not uncomfortable. The ever polite Rob apologised for any discomfort, he was still improving the suspension. He ambled along with close regard for the Highway Code and speed limit, this was not a man to attract the unwanted attention of the police. At a major crossroad traffic light, a V6 Capri pulled along the inside, the driver was a medallion man with a similar mate as passenger. Gunning the Capri, he clearly wanted to race as the light changed. The ever polite Rob did not even glance over, did not touch the throttle, just sat watching the quiet road ahead. As the lights changed, the Capri squealed away. It was then that Rob stamped on the throttle, bringing the race tuned V8 into action. It was a rocket sledge. I have never been in anything as fast as that car. Rob overtook the Capri within five metres, but sadly, I did not get to see the drivers face.
Rob took the car to rallies and shows up and down the country, he and the car were always popular.

Here, at Stratford on Avon 1978, it poured down all day long.

'Gary's picnic' run wot you brung at Santa Pod, 1978

Alexander Palace Custom Car Show 1978. Rob did all the build work, detailing and cleaning himself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts