Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I was just thinking where i used to go when i had hair to put sweet georgia brown in.
I remember the st helier arms, shades, sunset club, the phoenix, silks, swan & sugerloaf, The castle in tooting, kentish town working mens club,boston arms,the 2i's on a monday night and a couple more. What year were theses places on. I used to knock about with Jamie Farqhuar, mousie, terry smith, Dave Crozier................. are any of them still around or even alive.
It was thunderbird and speed which is why i probably can't remember. any pointers to my lost years will probably be met with vacant eyes and some dribbling
Best
Neil

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
You forgot to mention falling out of the downham tavern into the merc, and then on to some other place to carry on....or was that just me. LOL straight out of there to sheperds bush til it was light

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has got really bad. I remember i have a custom mercury, i remember falling out of The Downham Tavern(many times) but I can't place you. Who,where,what
Let me know asap my good man so i can get the embarrassment over sooner rather than later.
Best
Neil

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
We could have bumped in to each other at a couple of venues; The Adam and Eve, Hackney. The Greyhound Suite, Croydon. The Old Maypole, Barkingside,. The Royalty, Southgate. The Tower, St Helier Arms, Carlshorlton. (sorry about the spelling on that one) The White Hart, Tottenham. They weren't my 'locals' but I played there with a band I was in.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You must be as old as me if you remember the Greyhound suite.The Royalty was a good night. I remember a bloke called Pete Bruce used to have a record stall there. I can't remember who the Dj was (perhaps 50s flash who used to do the Squire in Catford)It then became dominated by Tom ingram who I'm meeting back up with beginning of April. Don't tell me you are the lead singer with crazy cavern.
Best
Neil

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Oh yes, I'm old! And, I'm not Cavan either. Had to chuckle when I saw mention of the Squire. The audience were boppin' about and generally having a good time, but when we came on, they walked out, leaving a handful of people in the place, some of which were us (the band). When I was on stage, I could see them outside, on the pavement, chatting, drinking and generally having a good time, then, when we finished our set, they walked back in again to continue generally having a good time! Oh how I laughed. Well, I did actually because I had to play Rock and Roll at the time (a management call) but I wanted to play Rockabilly and that's what the audience wanted. A point well proved that night. Some of the DJ's I remember well are Rockin' Roy Williams and Stu Wester. Happy days. Neil.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Hi
I was just thinking where i used to go when i had hair to put sweet georgia brown in.
I remember the st helier arms, shades, sunset club, the phoenix, silks, swan & sugerloaf, The castle in tooting, kentish town working mens club,boston arms,the 2i's on a monday night and a couple more. What year were theses places on. I used to knock about with Jamie Farqhuar, mousie, terry smith, Dave Crozier................. are any of them still around or even alive.
It was thunderbird and speed which is why i probably can't remember. any pointers to my lost years will probably be met with vacant eyes and some dribbling
Best
Neil
Mousey announced recently at Dingwalls that he was retiring from DJing at a Rockabilly nite there. Jamie used to be in Rochee and the sarnos and played a one string bass didn't he? Haven't seen him in ages, but he was one of the old Bromley contingent who beat up Billy Idol on a bus before he was famous! And he knew Siouxsie sioux out of Siouxsie and the banshees too. I used to knock about with him at the Electric Ballroom when Chris Bey was DJing rockabilly there on a Saturday night, and also the Boston Arms, Camden Workers and the Russell arms as was and The City in Kings X when ragin' Lee used to DJ there. I used to chat to Dave Vanion there (The Russell arms on a Weds nite) out of the Damned ,as he loved a pink 57 coupe deville I had back then. I remember when Alain white and Boz Boorer used to go there and hang out with their bandmate Morrissey (ex of The Smiths) he was into rockabilly and weren't a bad bloke really. There's a book out a few years ago about the 80's rockabilly revival, you'll probably recognise a lot of the faces in the photos as I did. Happy days.....
I know a few of that crowd are dead now, lived life too fast I guess, you probably knew Fagin and Fat Les? They're gone. Terry Smith is still around, his brother used to race Mopars I believe and often had a car on a trailer outside The Russell. Big John and Chang are still around occasionally too. I don't know how many of these people you rememebr, but I know loads more if you want updates, I used to do the hemsby's all-nighters Downham tavern etc too.

·
scavengers cc
2,897 Posts
mouse retiring from dingwalls night yea right hes said that a few times, christ the greyhound suite and the swan and sugarloaf and the the castle in tooting thats going back some years.....i remember seeing the meteors (think it was) in a club in croydon (the name escapes me) but it was right next to st.georges walk , anyway there was a few of us in there and thought it was time for a fire extinguiser fight and we set them off it was fucking hilerious ...we was young then....dave crozier is still Dj-ing..and yes chang still around, see him last year.......joe

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
The squire....is that the one at the bottom of southend lane and whitefoot lane? if so its now a block of flats LOL.

Just a quick side note......the song "7 nights to rock" always makes me laugh when i play it, its like a reminder of a full weeks rocking.....and the line......Friday at the chatterbox...LOL swan & sugarloaf me up

apple pan dowdy

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
My favourite time was when we would start miday at the Elephants Head - Dingwalls - Elephants Head - Camden Workers fourteen hours right thru - I couldn't do it now thats for sure ! Anyone remember The Copper pub near tower bridge , Shades in Manor Park ,the Tenessee club. Has anyone kept any flyers from back then ? I heard the Space Cadets are a one off

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
oh.....and The Black Bull, Lewisham which was our first gig of many 'down south'. Fire, A, Baptism and Of are words that spring to mind but not nessessarily in that order!

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Prince George in Thorton Heath on a friday was maybe my first experience. Mr Clay it was the swamp club where we both saw the Meteors.
That's where the squire was.I remember the white swan in Crystal Palace that I think Jerry Chatterbox used to do. I remember getting into the worst fight of my life in that place where i was stabbed twice and my mate popeye had his hand cut off by Joe Ely if anyone remembers him.
I used to knock about (from when i was 13/14) with Tom Ingram, all of roche and the sarnos,Terry Smith, Alan Moses,some bald nutcase called Alan Smith, Mousie,John Belsham,John Donaghue,Paul Payne, Brandon Corduroy,Tyrone, Dean Ballard,Ginger Steve,Dave mumbles,Rudy and one of the most formidable blokes i've met who was Mark Richardson. Does anyone know any of these guys. I heard mr belsham is now dead and Terry lost a leg
I thought mousie used to Dj upstairs at the electric ballroom with Jay Strongman downstairs. That was a brilliant night with good old Kav kavanagh making the rest of us look like retards on the dancefloor.Another one i used to go to Djyd by a bloke called Barney was The Clarendon hotel in Hammersmith on a thursday night.Like the old moon mulligan song we really did have seven nights to rock.
Best
Neil

·
Registered
73 Posts
You must be as old as me if you remember the Greyhound suite.The Royalty was a good night. I remember a bloke called Pete Bruce used to have a record stall there. I can't remember who the Dj was (perhaps 50s flash who used to do the Squire in Catford)It then became dominated by Tom ingram who I'm meeting back up with beginning of April. Don't tell me you are the lead singer with crazy cavern.
Best
Neil
Pete Bruce is still about. He will probably be DJing at the Rockers Reunion at Reading on Saturday

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh yes, I'm old! And, I'm not Cavan either. Had to chuckle when I saw mention of the Squire. The audience were boppin' about and generally having a good time, but when we came on, they walked out, leaving a handful of people in the place, some of which were us (the band). When I was on stage, I could see them outside, on the pavement, chatting, drinking and generally having a good time, then, when we finished our set, they walked back in again to continue generally having a good time! Oh how I laughed. Well, I did actually because I had to play Rock and Roll at the time (a management call) but I wanted to play Rockabilly and that's what the audience wanted. A point well proved that night. Some of the DJ's I remember well are Rockin' Roy Williams and Stu Wester. Happy days. Neil.
Billy, I remember the Rhythm Hawks:D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Piggy: OH HELL....I, on purpose, didn't mention that name!!!!! Where were you, when were you, what were you, how the flippin' heck do you remember THEM (us)?....:roll:

·
Registered
249 Posts
The Royalty, Southgate Thursday nights, all dayer bank holiday Mondays , crazy Cavan christmass party, no dancing to match box rockabilly rebel!... christall palace pub st Albans owned by George,after it closer the horn of plenty, bobby sox Harrow, sparrowhawk edgware, castle old kent road, 50s flash, rocking shades, Jeaner and the rocking rebels, ... the very first Caister weekend - now hemsby - Keytones, polecats, and dare i say it king kurt, Freddie fingers lee mad mad mad days! donkey jackets... winkle pickers and .... wait for it... wait for it .... Jack Geach Taylor made ted suits and box jackets in Harrow.

Come on!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Piggy: OH HELL....I, on purpose, didn't mention that name!!!!! Where were you, when were you, what were you, how the flippin' heck do you remember THEM (us)?....:roll:
Billy, I'm from Portsmouth and saw (still see) rockin' bands along the South Coast and now in the North West. I think I saw you at Shoreham but it could have been Bournemouth, Boscombe, Crondall or anywhere really!!!! I've got a 45 of the Rhythm Hawks with a picture of you on the sleeve - shall I post it:D

PS Check out the Del Rio Ramblers - hillbilly/rockabilly at it's best

Bob

·
Registered
73 Posts
How about the Oasis Club and St Mary's Arms in Portsmouth, Crondall (still going), Shoreham, Black Raven, Long Bar in Southend :bigsmile:

1 - 20 of 169 Posts