Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive been looking forward to the events of this weekend for a while but with rose tinted specs removed I think this may be a project too far.

Ive wanted to build a rod for a long time, and hoped that I would one day be inspired by the right donor or some parts coming along.

A while ago I discovered that a classic car owning friend had pushed the remains of a car into a garage more than 20 years ago after removing the bits he needed and since then the garage had rotted and fallen in on the car.

Knowing it was a 30s car and having seen his fantastic original example I knew I wanted to drag it out and use it.

On Saturday the car was removed and its in my yard now.
Sadly theres a lot more missing and severely rotted than I expected.

There are some other parts mot pictured but not a lot, eg bonnet, front axle, springs and missing B pillar.

Have a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

Ive intentionally not mentioned what it is, does anyone want to guess? Ill let on tomorrow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi nice looking poject
I may be wrong but i think it looks like a rover
we have a good following of steel uk rods in middlesbrough
hang in there one bit of rust at a time

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
looks like a hillman or morris possibly ? you got a lot more to start with than i had on my pick up :lol: should make a nice ride ....:tup:

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
I was going to say Austin 10 but really I've not got a clue. Good luck with it though, I can just about see a hot rod hiding in there amongst the rust and holes.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
It's only bits of steel. Somebody else made it, you CAN rebuild it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Im not sure if itll get done, if not it has inspired me to do something, maybe look for a more viable starting point, but theres nothing like making your own barnfind and building your car from it, that makes it special I think, and I know some of its history.

I know the whereabouts of the back doors and maybe some other bits so if I can get these it may make all the difference to the viability of it.

A rough list of significant items that its missing is -
Log book (got the plate, maybe doesnt matter though as its never going to keep 8 points is it?)
Back doors.
Grille shell
Boot lid
Rear wings (almost completely dissolved)
Front wing, believe it or not most of the ones in the pic are for the same side.

On the plus side the chassis is rock solid so could be kept and strengthened and the body is actually very solid and straight except for above the rear wheels and the detatched B pillar. It does have timber in it though which will have to come out and be replaced with steel.

Anyway, what is it.

I shouldnt have left that unanswered really as from whats there what chance did anyone have.

Its a Wolseley 12/48 from somewhere between 1935 and 47ish I think.

All thoughts on viability of the project welcome.

Maddad, thats good to hear about the local steel rods, what models are they then, and what localish events do they get to?

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Mmmmm.....
Can you weld? Can you shape steel? Do you have vision? Do you have plenty of free time? How much are you prepared to spend on doing it?

Take the rose tinted specs off for a minute. If the answer to all the above is "yes", then you may have a chance, if not, weigh it in.
Several years later, hundreds/thousands of pounds,countless hours etc etc etc.....if it gets done to any kind of standard at all, what's it worth? Very little.
Rebuilding a basket case is only worth it if the car has some sentimental value or is potentially going to increase in value when done. This ain't.
As a first build it will become your last as you get pissed off with it.
Decide what you really want, and go for it instead.

Opinion asked for so one given.

·
Registered
9 Posts
sorry onyl my second post on here! But I say yah go ahead and do it!! (Kind of thing I would get fired up about if I found a barn find!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
German8rcoupe, good reply.

Welding and fabrication no problem, shaping metal more of a problem, another skill to learn more about.

Im well aware that itll never be worth a fortune, Id be doing it for myself for satisfaction.
I do most work myself so that may keep the budget from skyrocketing but on the other hand that means more time is needed, and thats the problem for me and what might make the decision.

It would be my first rod build and build from such a bad state but certainly not my first project car so I can appreciate whats involved to some degree.

comments appreciated.

·
Registered
396 Posts
well mine was in about that state actualy it wasnt even that good thats why its a ratrod in the end to make that a clean rod would take too much work , mine took a year from worse than that too on the road ....DO it , another local car quite a few getting built round ere

even could just chop it and put it over a scimitar chassis

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well mine was in about that state actualy it wasnt even that good thats why its a ratrod in the end to make that a clean rod would take too much work , mine took a year from worse than that too on the road ....DO it , another local car quite a few getting built round ere

even could just chop it and put it over a scimitar chassis
Ive had a read about yours, good solution, looking good.

Whats worse about mine though is the amount of parts that are not present or useable, such as

2 x back doors
boot lid
grille shell
3 x fenders

If I had those my mind would be made up.

I didnt really want to build it onto a later chassis with independent suspension etc but to be fair its a whole lot better than not building it at all.

Even the Scimitar route though would need to have the correct wheelbase to avoid BIVA and I would have to be careful to retain enough points if changing the engine and box, then I guess it would need to be registered with a new make and model name. Is that right, just been reading the legal F100 thread which seems like the same principle.

·
Premium Member
14,075 Posts
if the back doors are missing why not make a truck cab out of it. then the wheelbase of a scimitar isnt an issue. just make the bed to suit.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
most of that should polish out:incheek: seriously though, stick a scimitar under it, use the original engine box, steering,axles and i think you should be about there for a rebody of a scimitar for points if your worried about that sort of thing, stretch the doors, fill in the gaps, lop the roof off,have a beer,your on the way, dont give in, if your wings dontexist just find something else and lob em on,its not like its going to be in the owners club calender

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the thoughts, all appreciated and keep em coming.

I love the 4 door sedan body style, I wouldnt have had any other given the choice so thats staying, unless I have no choice but to 2 door it, but the shape will stay.

I do want to do it legally as far as registration goes, although a few minor changes later might take place.

I didnt really want modern (Scimitar) suspension on the front, I wanted traditional, but then its going to be full fendered and its not having a big budget so maybe thats a sensible compromise.
I do want a V8 though so will have to ckeck the points score carefully, perhaps it can go on the Scimitar box and keep that point. I did know someone with a V8 Scimitar but dont know what box it had in it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ive managed to get some more bits.

It's a long and sad story that I cant discuss here, I managed to rescue some parts but other spares for this and other similar models have been scrapped, including the original good gearbox from this car!

Anyway, a few pics of some of the important bits.

I got the missing doors + 1 more front door, all in rather poor condition.
I got a rad grille, sadly it turns out its not the one for this car and is too small, it might still be used though.
Other items include some front springs (I think for the car) and an original front axle, although bent like a banana, headlights, with only one good glass, the spare glass is a different size, a once beautiful dash, briken in the scrapping spree, 2 more wheels so if its going to be a rod I think Id like original wheels at the front and original banded on the back.
Plus some other odds and ends.
The doors make a big difference.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts