Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Some more usefull part and tool ideas.

I originally bought this wiring kit for the engine and although a brilliant scale
it was the wrong colour blue for what i needed. (£1.50 for 3 foot)

and so looking in Hobbycraft under Floral Section!! came across this......

Called Metallic Wire it was the same scale (0.5mm) as the other wiring, a better colour and better still was much stiffer and much better for positioning on the engine.
It was also available in Gold, Copper, Red, Black, Strong-Pink, Blue and Green, and was priced at £3.89 for a 45m length. Not too bad.

Upon looking round the shop I found some more in the Bead section in various diameters and colours.

Alumininum Wire 2mm - 2m length - £1.89
Black, Gold, Silver, Copper, Lemon, Mint, Emerald, Red, Pink, Purple, Lilac, Baby Pink, Navy, Electric Blue.

Alumininum Wire 0.6mm - 10m length - £2.25
Turquiose, Scarlet, Tangerine, Black, Lilac, Emerald, Olive, Green, Aubergine, Floresent Green, Floresent Deep Pink, Floresent Yellow.

Silver Plated 1.5mm, 1.2mm, 0.8mm, 0.6mm, 0.4mm, 0.2mm - Ranging from 1.75m to 25m depending on the dia and priced from £1.99- £2.25

Gold Plated 1.0mm, 0.8mm, 0.6mm, 0.4mm, 0.2mm - Ranging from 4m to 20m depending on the dia and priced from £4.25 - £5.49

Brass Plated 1.0mm, 0.8mm, 0.4mm - Ranging from 4m to 20m depending on the dia and priced at £2.25

Copper Plated 1.0mm, 0.8mm, 0.4mm, 0.4mm - Ranging from 4m to 20m depending on the dia and priced at £2.25

Plastic Tubeing Clear and Smoke 0.3mm - 50m £??

Elastic Cord (Ideal for Braided fuel lines) Gold and Silver - 1.5mm - 3m - £1.69

Also available in White, Turquoise, Blue, Powder Pink, Red, Black.

Leather Various Colours -1.5mm - £??

In the Modeling Section they had
Sterene Strips ranging from 0.010 to 0.080 Depth and upto 0.250 Width - Unknown price
Sterene Rod Round from 0.04mm Dia and Square from 0.100mm - Unknown price
Clear PVC Sheets for windowsa etc, Yellow, Pink, Red, Aqua, Green, Tangerine, Cherry, Blue, Smoke, Clear.

From the local Fishing Shop I found these

This again could be used for Braided Hose (if painted)

And these could be used for fancy exhaust ends, Rubber - 5mm Dia - 20mm Length, but could be cut down.

From B&Q I found a cheaper wire option by using Fuse Wire

Tool wise so far I have found these to be good Glues

From Left to Right Poly Zap for Speciality Plastics Ideal for Lexan,
A.R.F?. anf EZ?
Poly Zap Mediam CA Ideal for Plastic Models An, ABS Plastics and Vinyl

PLEASE NOTE THESE ARE LIKE SUPER GLUE AND DRY VERY QUICKLY AND WILL BOND YOUR FINGERS TOGETHER

Poly Cement Modeling Glue

For Cheap Brushes try Tesco Under £2.00? for these.

R.H.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old (is there going to be another competition?) but I'm a newbie so I'll just add that to strip chrome use ordinary bleach (leave to soak for a couple of hours) To strip most paints from plastic, I use Mr muscle but this needs to be left overnight in a sealed container (spray outside - nasty stuff!) then scrub with an old toothbrush. If you want to do it properly, I understand this stuff works well Phoenix Precision Paints sounds expensive but is reuseable. The Americans use brake fluid to strip paint but I would check on a part first!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Personally when it comes to stripping paint, I use acetone free nail varnish remover. It works well and can be used to strip back all the way to the plastic. Or if used with a cotton bud, can be used to cut back or strip back sections....:tup:

·
Nostalgia freak
4,994 Posts
Ive got lots of kits i chopped many years ago 20+ that i never finished,one being a chopped and sectioned AMT 49 Merc,my qustion is will these models just fall apart if there was any ettempt to finish them,as ive known in the past bits fall off of old built kits (glue rot).Should i just re-glue all the cuts from inside?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Ive got lots of kits i chopped many years ago 20+ that i never finished,one being a chopped and sectioned AMT 49 Merc,my qustion is will these models just fall apart if there was any ettempt to finish them,as ive known in the past bits fall off of old built kits (glue rot).Should i just re-glue all the cuts from inside?
Probably depend how you glued them the first time, liquid cement will normally give a stronger bond than tube cement which can go brittle and come apart. You may as well re-glue them by running some liquid cement into the joins if you are in any doubt.

·
Nostalgia freak
4,994 Posts
Probably depend how you glued them the first time, liquid cement will normally give a stronger bond than tube cement which can go brittle and come apart. You may as well re-glue them by running some liquid cement into the joins if you are in any doubt.
Tube cement was used:( i recon if i started rubbing them down they will break so ill get some liquid cement:tup:
cheers for all the info:tup:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thrown away the nasty Mr Muscle oven cleaner! Got some Fairy Power Spray instead, strips chrome and paint without the nasty smells. Just spray on and leave then scrub off. Still need to be careful (keep out of eyes, wash off skin etc) but much nicer to use.

·
Nostalgia freak
4,994 Posts
Thrown away the nasty Mr Muscle oven cleaner! Got some Fairy Power Spray instead, strips chrome and paint without the nasty smells. Just spray on and leave then scrub off. Still need to be careful (keep out of eyes, wash off skin etc) but much nicer to use.
Is that the stuff they were using in the Model truck mag this month.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
That's the stuff. Finally found some in Sainsburys (on special offer too!). Just taking the chrome off the Impala and it seems to work a treat and no nasty niffs:cool:

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you look in poundland in the nailvarnish section, they have packs of six suede effect nail stuff that is actually flocking. The pots are kinda wee but enough for an interior on one model. Colours in the pack are 2 reds,pink,black,blue and purple. In the same section you will find nail art brushes in packs of 7 that are good for detailing. There are other colours of flock in some of the nail varnish packs too, but the nail varnish they have is s***e to paint with

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Poundland " MIGHTY oven cleaner ", Guess how much..... Fume free says so on the box... just like moi ! LOL , get a free sealable bag too !
plastic lunchbox tub with a good lid . Gets all kinds of cockups off .
Job done !

21 - 35 of 35 Posts