Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

.co.uk or .com Which do you think would be better ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you think is better ?

I've got both addresses but use the .co.uk as the primary. Any traffic coming through .com gets automatically redirected to .co.uk

I like the .co.uk as it still shows we're UK based but now that the T-Shirts & stickers are getting closer i'm wondering which wuld be the better to advertise.

Vote for your preference and post up any thoughts :tup:

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't "really" matter which one is the main url. I suppose it'd mainly be of use for foreign traffic.

The way I see it would be ...

.com benefits
  • slightly less lettering for putting on logos.
  • appears as more of a global site as in it could be a US, Australian etc. forum so people coming across it in a search engine across the world might be more inclined to look in.
  • may give better results in search engines.

.co.uk benefits
  • advertises the fact that it's a UK based site.
  • likely to remain UK focused regarding content but with a few global visitors.

That's all I can think of at the mo.

Whichever way it went, both addresses would still be able to access the site as would existing bookmarks/links if it were changed to .com. Changing the main URL would mean that search engine listing would all be displayed with the .com url and .co.uk ones would automatically change to .com when they access the site.

I suppose the main thing it comes down to is what looks better.

rodsnsods.co.uk
or
rodsnsods.com

·
Rust Obsessive
642 Posts
.co.uk because it is nice to be an upfront UK site (and it does my head in googling things and wading through .com's to see where the site is from). But could it be done so that .com will send you straight to the .co.uk address?:tup:

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
:eek:

Have you met him ? He drives a pink VW Beetle you know !!

Even 40Stude took off the bit in the quote about "Im with stevie.t" cos he knows him :tup:

:D
Hey if we all drove the same cars that were the same colour :sleep:

Your asking a bunch of people wasted on petrol fumes and thats good enough for me :tup:

·
Mopars and Gassers
246 Posts
Well I was gonna go for.com and give the site a global feel, but after seeing all the other replies, I think I'd better get me coat...:oops:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts