Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Sorry Bob I didn't see the post, the hood bulge looks real familiar like I should know it. It's not Tim Cooks old '55 is it?

And Mikeyboy, take care, I have got a Black Book as well and you are on a last warning!

Rog.

·
[url=http://www.nobrain.d
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This should make it a little easier for you

So more Pics, of the Tris we checked out in the States

The 3 Pics, above turned into this below….

This is the Guy we brought the NOS-Parts from, said he never tock the 55 into New York City cos
it would get damaged ….In the 3rd, pic you being noisy Rog

Few more to come …do it sunday......:tup:

Bob……….

·
Registered
3,111 Posts

Bob……….
Rahway State Prison...

HAHA I'm looking at this picture and holding in my hand a black biro which has emblazoned down the side in gold letters "HOLIDAY INN OF CARTERET AT EXIT 12 & N.J. TURNPIKE" , I remember that view from our room like it was yesterday Bob ... wish it fuckin was eh :lol: ... great pics Bob :tup:

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Me and Sue 'found' the method, staying in central NJ, reading the 'Want Add' and shipping out of Port Elizabeth. We even were lucky enough to rent a Failane with cut out like slots in the back bumper that you could chain a UHaul Tow Bar to.

When me and Bob went back in late 1980, we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Carteret NJ ( Bruce Springsteen 'New Jersey in the evening like a lunar landscape') and rented a Fairlane. A trip I will remember for the rest of my life.

The green 4 door wagon was owned by the Guy that we bought the '55 Sedan Delivery from, the rear bumper sticker said 'Disco Sucks', ha ha.

The '57 Sport Sedan 'for sale' photo, does it have the towing A bar in front of it?

Ron we should have a reunion in the Carteret HI, not this week though they have loads of snow. Thinking about it though, that was a damn rough HI. That pen must be a collectors item Ron.

Bob I am so glad that you photographed everything, priceless is the word that comes to mind.

This song always reminds me!

"Well, I had the carburetor, baby, cleaned and checked with her line blown out she's hummin' like a turbojet
Propped her up in the backyard on concrete blocks for a new clutch plate and a new set of shocks
Took her down to the carwash, check the plugs and points
Well, I'm goin' out tonight. I'm gonna rock that joint

Early north Jersey industrial skyline I'm a all-set cobra jet creepin' through the nighttime
Gotta find a gas station, gotta find a payphone this turnpike sure is spooky at night when you're all alone
Gotta hit the gas, baby. I'm running late, this New Jersey in the mornin' like a lunar landscape

Now, the boss don't dig me, so he put me on the nightshift
It's an all night run to get back to where my baby lives
In the wee wee hours your mind gets hazy radio relay towers, won't you lead me to my baby?
Underneath the overpass, trooper hits his party light switch
Goodnight good luck one two power shift

I met Wanda when she was employed behind the counter at route 60 Bob's Big Boy Fried Chicken on the front seat, she's sittin' in my lap
We're wipin' our fingers on a Texaco roadmap
I remember Wanda up on scrap metal hill with them big brown eyes that make your heart stand still

Well, at five a.m., oil pressure's sinkin' fast
I make a pit stop, wipe the windshield, check the gas
Gotta call my baby on the telephone
Let her know that her daddy's comin' on home
Sit tight, little mama, I'm comin' 'round I got three more hours, but I'm coverin' ground

Your eyes get itchy in the wee wee hours sun's just a red ball risin' over them refinery towers
Radio's jammed up with gospel stations lost souls callin' long distance salvation
Hey, mister deejay, woncha hear my last prayer hey, ho, rock'n'roll, deliver me from nowhere"

Rog.

·
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To find and buy four cars in a week ant easy you got to take what you can get rust and all.
I think Stew (Dream Cars) had the right idea two days there was enough he jumped
back on a plain and what down to Florida

LOL…………..My Tunnel……

Boxes of Tri Parts …

'Disco Sucks', Rog......:D

Sad ending that last Pic,……

Bob…….

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Great pics Bob. Do you remember me and Pete went to New York to buy a Chevy [never got one from there] You gave us a lot of info we stayed in the same motei in Carteret the staff knew you two. Said you were nice guys LOL. kEN. PS THEY DID NOT KNOW YOU TWO THAT WELL I GUESS. LOL.ps we drove round New York got lost in some dodgy areas kept the doors and windows closed.

·
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Rahway State Prison...

HAHA I'm looking at this picture and holding in my hand a black biro which has emblazoned down the side in gold letters "HOLIDAY INN OF CARTERET AT EXIT 12 & N.J. TURNPIKE" , I remember that view from our room like it was yesterday Bob ... wish it fuckin was eh :lol: ... great pics Bob :tup:

Your Nicking biro and the State Pens just up the road,:shock: ......you wash dodger bet you still got that bar of soap too....:pmsl:

Bob....

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts

SO IS THAT TIM COOKS 55 BEFORE IT CAME OVER??, THOUGHT IT WAS SILVER WHEN IT CAME OVER?, OR HAVE I MISSED SOMETHING?....CONFUSED..:beuj:​

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Well obviously my memory is crap, not that I needed reminding (that my memory is crap that is). The '55 with the F*rd Thunderbolt hood pimple mst have been in NJ back in 1980. The question is why didn't we buy it?

Ken, how did you come away from NJ empty handed? In Bob's photos there was a '55 with your name on it, literally!

Rog.

·
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As Pete said Tim's did come France
The 55 was just one we look at while we were there, The 55 with "Ken Plate" was just park up and I jumped out and took some pics,
I asked Ken that question some time back Rog…. fill us in again ken / Pete what happened........:?:

Bob….

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Well bob
i seem to remember me and ken were only there for two or three days, we went over on a cheap stand by ticket, then we heard that the u.s. Traffic controler union were going on strike and ronny ragan had some of them taken away in hand cuffs ,so we thought we better get back home while we could still get a ticket before we run out of money.
New york at that time was bankrupt and it showed, what a mess, but we had a good time.

·
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your right Pete was a bit run down I was wearing two gold chain and a sovereign ring;
Rog was carrying around a small black briefcase and we were told in no uncertain terms
that we could get shot walking around looking like that…..:S

Bob….

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
CHEERS ALL FOR CLEARING THAT UP.....

HERES THE 1ST PIC I TOOK OF TIMS CAR IN 79 AT THE GALLEYWOOD LEGION CDSRC MEET, BOBS Y IS BEHIND IT & THATS MARTY BABBS MINX IN THE FOREGROUND....:tup:

I REMEMBER IT HAD A CRACKED FRONT SCREEN...

·
14,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rog just come across this pic,
I'm embarrass I cant remember he's name ..No matter he was a member of the long island Classic Chevy Club
who I was in contact with and when we meet him over there I thought he was going to turn in his Tri-Chevy….
But this is what he came in to meet us in
Looking more English than then we looked…. I was lost for words

He was a nice guy thou, and gave a few tips

Bob………………..

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Bob, I have no idea of the guys name, I can't even remember the Minor, it's sad I know. However I can remember a story and I think that he is the guy who told it.
'He was returnng from Vietnam, and was on the last leg of his journey out to Long Island on the train and still in full uniform. He got up to givr his seat to a woman and she refused and spit on him'

I have a few friends over here in Florida who were in Vietnam and tell similar stories. When I see the many cars over here overtly displaying 'Support our Troops' etc. I often think it's the guilt they feel for the way the US treated the Vietnam era troops.
I go dinking with an old Marine to the American Legion on St Pete Beach, they fly the Stars and Stripes and the black MIA flag. Inside there is a table set with a black table cloth and lack cutlery. It's never used it's waiting for thoose who are still considered MIA.

Sorry to ramble on but one thing leads to another.

Rog.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts