Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it should have been simple enough.
Buy a Fordson van, rip out the old running gear and shove in a zetec, type 9 gearbox
and anglia axle.
problem is they're a bit thin on the ground at the moment and what there is seems silly prices
(like £1400 for a pair of side panels and rear doors)
so after a couple of months scouring the net I come across the Pop Parts Plus website and amongst the
fine collection of pops for sale are 2 vans.
One was over my budget so I bought the other and here it is...

Now for my dilema:
as you can see it has windows fitted which was a conversion done by a Ford approved bodyshop,
called Martin Walter Ltd back in 1949, and is know as a Utilicon.
Searching online I can't find any images of another one in existence which suggests it may be kinda rare.
So boys and girls do I rod it or restore it? that is the question keeping me awake at night.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh, rod it! No contest... however, stock body is a must, and keep the windows - it looks like a pop estate. Which is cool.

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
this might be of interest to you

Fordson E04C Utilecon (in Grey) - Photograph Number 90 of 120

Old estate cars and MPVs.

I know it's easy to say "rod it", but the reality is, is that it's a very rare car, which to the right person could be worth a lot of money, far more than it would ever be worth if it were rodded. Personally I'd see what interest there is in it at the moment in the historic Ford circles & then make a judgement on whether to sell it as is, or restore it to original spec. You may well find that the money you get from selling it would fund a fair bit of the rodded replacement van you buy. hth

cheers...Nige

ps, the reason you might have difficulty finding stuff about the van is because it's spelt "utilecon" not a "utilicon" it has an e not an i.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies fellas
Sidspop that is very useful as I can now see what the interior is supposed to look like
now all the mouldy panels have been removed :puke:
and Nige thats a photo of my car in a former life, i can tell from the pattern of scabs on the front wings :tup:

·
Stay cool, admit nothing
1,836 Posts
I know it's easy to say "rod it", but the reality is, is that it's a very rare car, which to the right person could be worth a lot of money, far more than it would ever be worth if it were rodded. Personally I'd see what interest there is in it at the moment in the historic Ford circles & then make a judgement on whether to sell it as is, or restore it to original spec. You may well find that the money you get from selling it would fund a fair bit of the rodded replacement van you buy.
That sounds sensible to me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've come to the decision that its just too rare to rod it and will go down the resto route.
However I will look for period tuning parts like an aquaplane head etc. in order to increase the
rather frightening 8hp that it came with.
Does anyone know if the 1172 motor from a 100e is a straight swap?
Thanks for the advice guys and a happy christmas to one and all :tup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
It had been on pop parts photo board for well over a year so all the resto people had their chance and if the price was anything like it was last year it makes it nice and cheap to rod it.I'm sure there's one in a museum somewhere we only need one original.

·
Registered
107 Posts
100E into Pop is not quite as straightforward as it seems.
Firstly the sump must be cut and the bowl move to the rear.
You will need the front timing cover off an upright Pop engine 10hp (your 8hp one may fit) to take the engine mount bracket. The cover also needs modifying slightly to clear the water pump.
Oil filter housing needs shortening.
Engine stabiliser bars must be modified to fit the 100E engine.
Gearbox will need the tab cutting off that covers the pinion on the 8hp starter
Throttle linkage needs modifying to clear the top of the engine.

If your serious I can give you pics and More details of the conversion
Here's mine
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/garage/project-anglia-848

1 - 19 of 19 Posts