Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an auto gearbox on my P5B Rover V8 engine and am seriously thinking of changing it for a manual one. Any thing I should look out for? Will any Rover V8 manual box fit? And other sensible questions that I should ask.:shake::shake::shake::shake:
Thanks
Cha7z

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
IIRC there should be no problem with the swapover, BUT only if you use the 2wd stuff, try usng the 4wd bits and it turns into a minefeild.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ian. That's good news. So, any Rover V8 Car manual box will be good for my engine!
Thanks again,
Cha7z

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is an LT77 and are they easier to find? And, how hard to fit?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
LT77 is the run of the mill Rover 5 speed, found in a few cars, Sdi, TR7s TVR wedges, Morgans, Sherpas, any thing really fitted with a RV8, 99% of all 2wd 5 speeds from BL, Other wise the 5 speed is found on all non V8SDIs apart fron the 2.0, which sometimes had 5th gear blanked off, Sherpa boxes have a short 1st gear and a cast iron remote, Jags have a short ally remote, but they have an odd bellhousing which needs to be changed, I have even seen the box fitted to a Moris Ital, MGRV8s have a R380 box, which is a upgraded LT77, you will be unlikely to find one of these,
Later TVRs and Morgans were fitted with the R380, and also the BorgWarner T5
Might be a helpful link, http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2028
The whole site is unintentionally biased towards to RV8

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is really great info, thankyou. You can see why I asked for help!!! I have the chance of a manual box (still attached to the engine, which is being sold seperately) complete with clutch etc. Presuambly then, the gearbox complete with bellhousing, torque converter and clutch is a direct bolt on?
I will have a look at the link you sent.
Again, thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The only thing you may need to get is a crank spigot bearing for the nose if the input shaft to sit in, prop wil need to have a seperate slip joint as the gearbox has a flange rather than a spline, Im not sure what your auto box has

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
throw a chevy v8 engine and box in ,you double the horse power and the spares are 1/2 price it's an easy swop they drop straight in, done in a triumph herald.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
throw a chevy v8 engine and box in ,you double the horse power and the spares are 1/2 price it's an easy swop they drop straight in, done in a triumph herald.
That is tempting!! But funds are limited and I'd like to be able to say the car is all British if/when it's done! (I know, the Rover V8 is actually a 215ci Buick!!!)

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
You will sell the rover for more than what it would cost to do the conversion.They seem to fetch silly money to go into landrovers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts