Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have an ongoing project with the installation of a Rover V8 and 5 speed manual gearbox into a 1955 Bristol 405. A while ago, I bought off the site what I thought was an Edelbrock 1404 carburettor. Turns out its an Edelbrock 14054. So a 600 cfm carburettor instead of a 500 cfm one. The guy doing the installation always said he would recommend a Holley 390. But I had a devil of a job finding a secondhand one. Reading the RPI Engineering website, they said they had stopped using Holley 390's some years ago in favour of the 1404. That's really why I looked for a secondhand 1404. I'm not really interested in big performance for this car. Much more interested in smoothness, and reasonable fuel consumption. The engine is a standard 3528 cc Rover V8. so I'm interested to take anyone's views. 600 cfm 1405 too big? 1404 better than 390? What would you recommend?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I have made numerous rover manifolds to take the Webber, the off road boys love them as they give good low end power and better economy than a holly. I have a 600 on a well tuned 3.9 rover and it works ok, when I had it on the 3.5 it never ran well, the 390 is about as big as you want to go on a stock rover. I have never used the edelbrock on a rover but they are a good carb BUT I would say the same applies, no bigger than a 390cfm. have a look here to calculate best carb Calculate Required CFM Of Carburetor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all. According to the calculator the engine really only needs around 300 cfm. In the RPI Engineering notes, they say they use the 1404 because the primary produces the first 200 cfm, and the secondary when it opens brings in the remaining 300 cfm giving 500 cfm in total. Does anyone know the respective figures for the 1405? What does the primary produce? I should add, that I'm in the peasant end of the market, having bought the 1405 I could do without having to buy something else as I still need to find a manifold. Thanks again for all your inputs.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I have a 600cfm Edelbrock on my Rover 3.5. It too was sold to me as a 500 but on inspection of the part number turned out to be wrong. The jets and needle sizes also confirmed this.

I've changed out the needles and jets to those specified for use on a Rover V8.

Reading the specs of the two carbs on the Edelbrock website, aside from the needles/jet sizing, there is no physical difference in port size. Inspecting two carbs side by side, the 500 has more restrictive 'venturis' at the mouths of the ports, no doubt to get the reduction in flow.

Now I have changed the needles and jets, the engine runs fine, no issues at all. (it was running really rich before as the the standard 600 jets are larger, obviously)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts