Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a Rover with an Offy 360 inlet, I am not running a heater on the car so can I just block off the heater inlet/outlets on the manifold using a blanking plate on the rear & the correct thermostat housing, or is it best for the engine to just have a hose connected to run aroun to avoid a hot spot?

Cheers, Lee.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
i ran a very lightweight road car with rv8 and no heater, it had a bung at the water pump side and a bung on the back of the manifold, ran for 2 years with no problems

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi Lee,

The same as harris66 above, my Y runs no heater and has a bung on the manifold and on the water pump.

I have to keep an eye on things if stuck in traffic on a hot day but that is mainly due to not having room to fit a very big rad on the car, that said it has never overheated.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have had many cars with Rover V8's over the years, and have normaly plumbed them up with the heater as the bypass

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cooling Again!

Hi Guys,
Well another step closer, & anoher head scratch session.
Does a Rover V8 have just a old style normal cooling circuit, or does it have to run with a remote Expansion/Header tank thing?
I know that the filler has to be at the highest point of the circuit.
My rad has no filler cap & is lower than the top outlet, so I was going to run a 45mm I.D. hose from bottom of rad to the water pump,
then a 38mm I.D. hose from the manifold outlet to an inline filler cap, the onto the top inlet on the rad.

Pics should hopefully be below...

Cheers, Lee.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If putting an inline filler from the thermostat to top connection on the rad I can't see an issue as it looks to be at the highest point in your system.
The TVR Chimeara has a sealed rad that is lower than the top of the engine, they put a vertical ali vessel that then takes the hose from the engine to the upper end of the vessel and from the lower end of the vessel to the rad. There is a filler point in the top of the vessel to try to get rid of any air locks and the pressure cap is on a second vessel mounted on the inner wing, can't remember exactly how that one is fitted into the system but if you need a photo of it I can uncover the car and take a few. (not been used for a good couple of years).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts