Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a rover v8 and 4 speed box out of a rover p5 and thers a lot of play when its in gear it makes it very hard to chang gear has eney one had this prolem
thanks

·
Registered
856 Posts
If you mean the 4 speed manual box out of a P6B, (all P5B's are auto as standard with no manual option) then it's a very weak box to start with. If it's particularly difficult to get into second and top, and the gearlever moves backwards and forwards as you go on and off the throttle then the rear flange nut is loose, or the stud has snapped off the end of the mainshaft. This will give a wavy speedo as well. The external clutch lever also has to be set correctly. They shred teeth on the laygear very easily and as new laygears are NLA, and s/h ones very hard to come by most of the time they get changed for LT77's. Externally the selector striker levers wear, and the bushes fall off the bottom of the gearlever, all of which give loads of play and difficult selection.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Replacing the 4 speed manual with the LT77 in the P6 needs the prop to be changed to the shorter automatic one, so you'll need to shorten yours by the same amount. Prop flanges fit together without problems. If you do want to persevere with the 4 speed I do know someone who has at least one box supposed to be known good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi i had the same problem in my p6,broke the gearstick trying to change gear,changed the oil to a thinner geade ,power steering oil,did the job
worth giving it a try rather than changing the box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts