Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have got a 3.9 (distributor type)ex rangey motor lined up for my car..I have ldv 1.9 gearboxes..(afew of) Can i mate/modify this 'box to fit??(I have the autobox bellhousing /starter etc).
An second question..I didnt get the ECU with the motor..will i be better off junking the fuel inj and getting an inlet manifold and carb set up ?For ease of fitting into my car.i.e less wiring I intend to give it a fresh rebuild/tuning it with cam/porting etc..will i get decent horsepower on carb?

·
Registered
8 Posts
really you want the LT77 box out of a 2.5 ldv or out of a landrover/rangerover really with the v8 bell housing on then clutch fly wheel etc is all straight forward. And as for tuning carb is easyier and prob cheaper in the long run as rangey ecu cannot be mapped properly for proper tuning unless you go throttle bodies and stand alone ecu (MBE/DTA) etc. personaly id go webber 500cfm with offenhauser or edelbrock manifold and good thing about the webber is at low throttle opening it only allows 100cfm of air so not really lumpy and harsh at slow speed or around town. gives the full 500cfm at full throttle and thats plenty for 300bhp.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really you want the LT77 box out of a 2.5 ldv or out of a landrover/rangerover really with the v8 bell housing on then clutch fly wheel etc is all straight forward. And as for tuning carb is easyier and prob cheaper in the long run as rangey ecu cannot be mapped properly for proper tuning unless you go throttle bodies and stand alone ecu (MBE/DTA) etc. personaly id go webber 500cfm with offenhauser or edelbrock manifold and good thing about the webber is at low throttle opening it only allows 100cfm of air so not really lumpy and harsh at slow speed or around town. gives the full 500cfm at full throttle and thats plenty for 300bhp.
Thats what I was thinking for the tuning side of things.good..carb it is then..that will save me hours of splicing looms together!! How does it work as far as ignition goes if the ecu is junked..no sensors..will i need a contact breaked dizzy?..and it just so happens I can get an ldv convoy box from my mate whos just breaking one!Great :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
"and good thing about the webber is at low throttle opening it only allows 100cfm of air so not really lumpy and harsh at slow speed or around town. gives the full 500cfm at full throttle and thats plenty for 300bhp. " ?
Explain please,

·
Registered
8 Posts
the webber has 200-500 cfm variable, un like a 390 holly the 500 webber has secondaries both vacuum and mechanically operated. unlike the holly which is just vacuum. Is that ok for you???
as for the dizzy you can still use the 3.9 magic eye type (electronic) with amp etc. i run a magic eye 3.9 dizzy in a 3.5 on carbs in my landy easy to maintain no condenser etc.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Ok, Both carbs, in fact all carbs hava variable cfm ability, you activate this by moving your throttle pedal. And both of these carbs will only alow air flow through the secondarys when the engine demands it. The Holley will open the secondarys by using vacumme created at the secondary veturi to control the seconday throttle plates, The Carter/ Edelbrock/ Webber, opens the secondary throttle plates mechanicaly and progresivly via direct action but will still only alow air flow through the secondarys when the air doors above the throttle plate open, these doors, like the secondarys in the Holley air opened by engine demand, not by your foot. And any carb will only flow enough air for what is required, if your engine only needed 100cfm to operate at a given rev and demand, both of these carbs will flow 100cfm. If it needed 300 cfm, again theyed flow 300 cfm and so on. If used on a blown engine they would if called for flow more than the respective rating, ie the 390 Holley will flow 500 cfm if it needed too, same with the Carter/Edelbrock/Webber. In this situation Holleys can flow about double ther rating and C/E/W slightly less than double. Just to clear up the abiguity.
Back to Dannymac. The best setup if you want to take something out of a box and fit and forget, use the Carter/Edelbrock/Webber. But even then I'd recomend you go through the calibration with a Needle, jet and spring kit. This will make a good carb better, More power and more mpg. This is due to the fact that carbs are supplied with slightly rich calibration to cover lots of aplications and to er on the safe side. (Lean can burn holes in stuff) And no carb can be correctly calibrated for your engine out of the box. Cheaper than the Holley too. The C/E/W has some scope left in it for latter improvements, the Holley 390 is I fancy a bit on the small side for a 3.9 Rover, unless you just want to warble about. For power I'd use the 465 cfm. Holleys tend to give a bit more power than the C/E/W but use a bit more gas doing it. And use the Edelbrock manifold, tis better than the Offy one.
This is not picking fights, its pointing out some missunderstanding.
Hope this helps.
Martin.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The Predator, In all honesty I dont think they were as good as they ment to be, I think if you are liking the fit and forget, go with the Carter/Edelbrock/Webber. If you dont go with the recomended re calibration, the carb will work out of the box no problem. Personaly I'd re calibrate for optimum results, but loads just plop um on and go for it, and are very happy with the results. Back on the Predator, if you look at the realy quick stuff on the strip or track, youd see lots of carbs and mostly they are Holley type, albeit made or modified by some one else but the ansestery is obvious. Peritors are very few and far between, I cant remember the last time I saw one. And knowledge of them is fairly thin. But if you want to have a go at playing with one, all the best, I admire you for that. Personaly I think the best 4 bbl carb is the Q jet ( that will make people think I'm a twat, but I like um!) But getting one properly sorted is fiddly busines, but they have big airflow ability (750 -900 cfm depending on who you ask) and very fine fuel meetering ability, and work on anything from about 3 liter up to 7 liter. Again knowledge is thin nowerdays, so are parts, so that would be an issue. The only real problem with the Q jet apart from the leaky bits(fixable) is the float bowl is so small that can lead to problems leaning out at full chat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thank you martin. we are all learning and you sound like a very knowledgeable chap with vast experience am only young being 23 never meant to sound confrontational.

·
Registered
727 Posts
No problem Mr bernstiener, as you quite rightly said, we are all learning. Only 23 but enough Jacobs to come back and say so. You'll be alright.
All the best.
Martin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts