Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have any good ideas on how to remove a diff from a salisbury type axle? By all accounts I need a spreader tool to elongate the diff housing to get the diff out. These tools seem to be as rare as hens teeth so I wondered if anyone had any good ideas on another way to do this??.. The axle is a chevy 10 bolt form a caprice

Cheers J

·
Rod'a'holic
1,034 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Garbled info, I'm afraid, J.
The axle that needs a spreader is the Dana 60.
On a Chevy 10-bolt, you just unbolt the caps & it comes out.
thats what i thought, as long as the pinion bolt comes out without snapping - guess who managed to do that years ago on a mates caprice whilst trying to do a wheel bearing :shake:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Garbled info, I'm afraid, J.
The axle that needs a spreader is the Dana 60.
On a Chevy 10-bolt, you just unbolt the caps & it comes out.
If only it was that easy.. or am i just not pulling hard enough!!.. Having taken the cover off and taken off the caps I was able to lift the diff and casing when gripping the diff to remove it. Do I just need to lever it??.. Didn't want to trash the thing by being too harsh with it. Will put a pic in too to see if its any different from the norm. The axle was from a station wagon. It has a different stud pattern from the norm (5x5 not 5x4.75) so think this may be the difference..

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
hi mate i have taken about 6 10 and 12 bolt axles apart for narrowing,you need to undo the bolt that holds the centre pin, push the shafts into the diff, remove the c clips, you can then put centre shaft back, you can then leaver the diff out, you have to get it out squire as its a tight fit their should be shimms either side dont mix them side to side and reasemble as it came out

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All done, cheers for all responses, popped out fairly easily once I realised it was designed to come out without a fight.. Cheers all:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts