Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this has been done before but who remembers this from the 70s it was brilliant to say the least .stole these of the net ,so lets see your pics ...thanks 8)

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
It's in France now...
Owned by Bob feeler, the guy with the rocket bike (I think)

·
Mopars and Gassers
246 Posts
Being in the barn at the pod was an experience, you got shot blasted, you couldn't breath, your eyes watered and it felt like the roof was going to fall off!

Perfect!:D

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
had the pleasure of chatting to sammy miller at santa pod in the 90s,
total nice guy, shame though as over the whole weekend the car didnt run to its full potential, never did see it do one of its epic runs, but an awesome machine non the less :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is some good video on the net .if some one can put a link on here it would be good :cool: can any one remember if it was this car that blew the signs off the gantry at the pod ? a pickup truck was parked behind near the shed with the back up, and the back blast nocked the signs off ?

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
I was lucky enough to have seen him run at the Pod a few times, impossible to describe & do it justice, one of those things where you really had to be there.

·
THATS MR TATFINK TO YOU
961 Posts
photo not brilliant but was lucky to spend a while at pod start line with sammy around 93 ish had a great laugh with him and ,after asking him for a photo he was still messing ,trying to kiss me , glad i took the time to get a photo now ...top bloke

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
The quick man on earth.

When sammy made a run,for a few seconds the crowed where stunned to silences, you could not beleve your eyes,it was unreal like something from a film cartoon.

Amazing

·
Registered
271 Posts
there is some good video on the net .if some one can put a link on here it would be good :cool: can any one remember if it was this car that blew the signs off the gantry at the pod ? a pickup truck was parked behind near the shed with the back up, and the back blast nocked the signs off ?
I can't remember any signs being blown off, it was the days before video and i filmed him on super 8 will have to get the projector down from the attic .

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have seen photos of that my dad says it was somthing to see,
dose it still run and what kind of times did it do ive got an old photo where it looks like shockwaves coming out of it

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I have seen photos of that my dad says it was somthing to see,
dose it still run and what kind of times did it do ive got an old photo where it looks like shockwaves coming out of it
Remember seeing it run the 1/4 in 3. something seconds at well over 300mph which in the eighties, I think it was, was far quicker than anything else was running. An awesome sight.
Still prefer the sound and smell of a Top Fueller though.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
I THINK YOU WILL FIND SLAMI'N SAMMY MILLER HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR THE QUICKE'S TIME AND TOP SPEED FOR THE STANDING QUARTER MILE IN THE WORLD,
WHICH MAKES U.K. SANTA POD THE FAST'ES AND QUICK'ES DRAG STRIP IN THE WORLD.

COME ON NICK TIMETRAVEL OR KEN REDMAD OR SOMEBODY GIVE US THE FACT':?::tup:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I THINK YOU WILL FIND SLAMI'N SAMMY MILLER HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR THE QUICKE'S TIME AND TOP SPEED FOR THE STANDING QUARTER MILE IN THE WORLD,
WHICH MAKES U.K. SANTA POD THE FAST'ES AND QUICK'ES DRAG STRIP IN THE WORLD.

COME ON NICK TIMETRAVEL OR KEN REDMAD OR SOMEBODY GIVE US THE FACT':?::tup:
think it was 370 mph ...the car 30,000hp ??

·
Dazed & Confused
3,507 Posts
I seem to remember Vanishing point blowing out the windows in the overhead gantry one day. Or was it one of the jet cars?

I took some cine film of one of his runs, but it was so quick that when I got the film developed and checked it, I was panning about ten feet behind it all the way!!

Didn't his chute fail to open once? scary stuff!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Didn't his chute fail to open once? scary stuff!
Top end of Mantorp park.

When I was crewing with the Black Magic FC we spent the day with him and others at Crystal Palace doing a promo for the Santa Pod Internationals, one of the nicest guys you'd wish to meet.
Bit scary when he did a blast along the top straight, had a small amount of trouble stopping at the other end :shock:

Oh yeh, still got a "T" shirt somewhere, can't be many of them around now!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
got a cassette tape bought from santa pod with sammy miller on it. It was the 300mph run. When I used to go to the pod I would play it for the atmosphere, think there was a time at the pod when something happened at the top end and he went into the runoff area.

RIP sammy, a true showman:tup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts