We used to go to granada tooting to see the films aimed at kids

did you, what did you see.....

valley of the kings

Roy rogers

lets hear and see.................

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I used to go to the 'Palace' picture house in Earl Shilton, it had a corrugated roof and when it rained!!! We watched Gene Audrey, The Lone Ranger and the Cisco Kid (he latter got into computers). My favourite though was Flash Gordon, the special effects were pathetic but as a kid they were literally out of this world. Does anybody remember the Rocket launches, a tottering, obviously fake model Rocket with a couple of sparklers but oh those fins.
My mother used to make me wear my mac, which I hated but if you put it round your neck with the top button done up it made a passable cape. Great for jumping off of walls on the way home. Amazing thought that, we walked.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I also did the mac "cape" thing, also taped a piece of chalk to the end of a bamboo and left Z's on every wall between the Odeon and home after watching "The Mark of Zoro"

Follow the bouncing ball!

We come along
on Saturday morning
greeting everybody
with a smile.

We come along
on Saturday morning
knowing it's
well worth while.

As members of the Odeon club
we all intend to be
Good citizens when we grow up
And champions of the free.

We come along
etc etc etc

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
Yeah! Richmond ABC. Had to sing the ABC minors song first. Then on with Old Mother Riley, Batman, Lassie, Flash Gordon, and normally a full length film I seem to remember.
Got thrown out once for throwing a sherbert dip...the staff thought it was a firework. Also remember always having a Jubbly in the summer.:)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I went to Tooting granada or the one opposite Southfields station. It started with about 3 cartoons,then there would be a short comedy like Laurel and Hardy or the Three Stooges then 'Zorro' then lastly maybe a "Mr Pastry" film.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
We would usually take in a 'Jamboree Bag' and have a 'Jubly' Sherbert dips and black jacks and fruit salad sweets.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hum, Ghostbusters is the earliest film I can remember seeing. Actually I remember Fantasia when I was tiny and the million little broomsticks scared me.

I saw American Graffiti at a drive through night in a derelict part of Greenwich or maybe it was Thamesmead a long long time ago. Anyone else go to that? Must have been late 80's early 90's way before anythign over there was developed, I just remember it being wasteground and a massive screen stuck up.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Used to go to either the Odeon Well Hall (now sadly closed) or the ABC in Eltham High Street (demolished some time ago). Yes I was an ABC minor! Same films as the other posts, I think Flash Gordon was my favourite.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I went to the Odean Streatham High Rd, I remember winning a drawing contest there, we had to draw Dr who, I was so embarrassed to have to go and collect my prize in front of all the kids :sniff:

I seem to remember; Lassy, The three stouges, Abott and costello, buck Rodgers..........god I feel old

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,742 Posts
I went to the Odean Streatham High Rd, I remember winning a drawing contest there, we had to draw Dr who, I was so embarrassed to have to go and collect my prize in front of all the kids :sniff:
That makes me think of that episode of 'Fools and Horses'!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would go to the Essoldo Hayes,mid to late sixties, other than CFF movies i dont remember much else being very contemparary, it always seemed to be stuff 20/30yrs old like "The case of the Mukkinese Battlehorn" with the Goons or "Oh! Mr Porter" with Will Hay, Grahame Moffett & dear old Moore Marriott. At the time these seemed a bit dull to kids already being fed an exciting TV diet of "Thunderbirds" and the like. It was only in latter years did i come to appreciate the comic genius that were Hay Moffett & Marriott. the Essoldo was also the place i saw my first movie...My sister took me, I was 6, the year was 1965,the bus fare was tuppence, an' the movie was Help!.....

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
it was the odeon at hounslow west for me,
remember woody the woodpeker cartoons
also chucked out for throwing half finished traffic light lolly
at screen.

·
Milt
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In 64 at the Granada ,tooting they introduced a new live band. i can,t for the life of me remember who it was........

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey Mike, you are not the only one. I saw them at the NME poll winners show in Wembly, 1965. There were lots of other big names on that show, but for sure they were the big one!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts