Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...found this on another forum , might be useful to some

"Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrates for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results! They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrates with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*
None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price."

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Diesel has been the "poor man's" penetrating oil for as long as its been around,brush or spray it on,it works on anything salvagable.

·
is currently reloading.
844 Posts
used diet coke once, in a successful attempt to frr up a stuck engine. didn't drink it afterwards, mind....

·
Registered
773 Posts
The coke thing Diet or full fat is always worked for me getting diesel Injectors out of cylinder heads or if that fails alloy wheel cleaners another good one Andy (pore around the injector and leave overnight )

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Coke can even free up a lightly siezed [by damp]engine! Simply pour some down the plug holes, leave for a few hours and gently rock back and forward on the crank or ring gear, if its not solid it will free up. then drain and flood bores with engine oil. Amazing stuff, when you see what it does to metal not sure about drinking too much of it...

·
Shake it, Hobbes
170 Posts
My missus drinks coke by the crate load, she's never seized and she never fails to fire up first time:incheek::incheek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Coke can even free up a lightly siezed [by damp]engine! Simply pour some down the plug holes, leave for a few hours and gently rock back and forward on the crank or ring gear, if its not solid it will free up. then drain and flood bores with engine oil. Amazing stuff, when you see what it does to metal not sure about drinking too much of it...
Going to try this with a seized 30hp 50's flat 4 engine... trouble is that as it is horizontally opposed, I can only really do 1 side at a time! (Not total seal rings)

I also heard that if you pour redex in the plug holes and leave it that has a good result?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
ATF is also a good engine storage lube.Run the engine at fast idle and then pour some ATF down the carb,when the exhaust starts to emit white smoke,shut the engine off and there you go ,the engine is now good for storage and well lubed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'v got to admit...I also used Redex to free up the in-line six in my Mk3 Zodi, she had been sitting for 24years and a overnight soak in the red stuff freed her up!!! (Luckily)....:tup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have to agree with ATF and acetone. Been using it for years, works a treat. Usually brush on and give some time to soak. Just done a Jag back axle and a Pontiac engine been sat for over 20 years. Used Atf is free and get acetone from any one using GRP.

·
capriac
1,810 Posts
We should have a money saving thread Si. I like this sort of info, very useful. The old ways of doing things are quickly fading, and without this sort of info will go to the grave with the dying person!!!

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
i think this thread should be shut down, for a start all these so called "tips" dont work and are very costly, i had to drive to several dodgy parts of town before i got some "coke" and then the nice man in the bmw with the tinted windows gave me a silly little bag of the stuff, i said,"i,m going to need a lot more than that, i,ve got a big area to cover" well you shoulda seen the look he gave me:eek: anyway after spending £1600, he cheered up somewhat, so i went home and sprinkled the stuff liberally on the said oil stains, when i looked in the morning, the oddest thing was happening, the oil stains were mostly still there, but my driveway was covered in strange looking young people on there hands and knees, and they all had rolled up notes up their noses,:shocked: what is happening to young people these days:beuj:they do the oddest things:roll: anyway then theres this so called "penetration oil" well getting the two main components was easy enough, so i mixed up a batch in the sink, decanted some of it into a decent jug, and told the missus "how about an early night" she was somewhat shocked at first [i suppose i maybe shoulda gently warmed it first] well we didnt notice any difference to start with and once we got used to the smell,and the slight stinging sensation,and the strange squeaking noise the missus arse cheeks kept making,all seemed to be going very well,,,,,:tup: and then it happened:shock: in her efforts to remain firmly on the bed she reached out to steady herself and knocked over the bedside candle:shock::shock: well you should have seen the flash:shake: last time we seen anything like that was when next doors outside lavvy got a direct hit from a buzz bomb in 1943, any way someone phoned 999, and most of the house is ok,[at least the siren got rid of all those people in the front yard]:giggle: so here we are at her sisters for a week or so while they repair the house, so if you got any more "tips" can you please keep them to yourself:finger: now wheres that bit of coke i kept:beuj: i,ll put it in her alberts snuff tin:twisted: that,ll surprise him allright:pmsl::tup::pmsl:

·
Registered
7 Posts
i dont know how true it is but an old boy i know used to work at wd40 plant and says main ingredient was diesel with a bit of paraffin and purfume.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts